× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X-ray 500

Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

Nighthawk X-ray 500

Iv bought a nighthawk Xr 500 to get a lower ping when gaming but I also had new internet put in too in my home so no one else is connected to my line I have set up geo filter and things to help connect me to closer servers but I’m connected to my EE broadband box because it doesn’t take a connection straight from the box but it doesn’t feel any different from my EE broadband I was expecting it to help lower ping it’s really bugging me as iv payed a lot of money for the set up and I feel like it doesn’t work right or if I’m doing something wrong with the set up I need help ASAP !
Message 1 of 44
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would highly recommend you follow our optimal settings guides in order to get setup properly http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646 if you're still having problems after that let us know.
Message 2 of 44
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk Xr500

Hello I still don’t have a clue about the settings you guys sent me over so is there a contact number or a customer service number I could call as I couldn’t find any on the website or anywhere on the internet as I really need this issue resolved
Message 3 of 44
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

???
Message 4 of 44
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Netduma doesn't offer telephone support. We offer text based support through this forum, our own forum, our support website, email, Facebook and Twitter. 

Message 5 of 44
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

Hi ok well also I have it plugged into my internet providers router it’s an EE router and it’s all working and I’m into settings but will that cause me to be getting low speeds as my EE one is just sending the signal threw that and putting it into the nighthawk. Is there a better way to set up so the internet is straight into the nighthawk ?
Message 6 of 44
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

On the EE router, is there a DMZ option? We can configure it so that traffic is passed to the XR500 unimpeded.

Message 7 of 44
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

I’m not sure if it has a dmz option don’t know much about settings on the routers. What do I need to do if it has and I can check with EE tomorrow but if you guys can send me the step by step ways to do this as I don’t know much about these things. I must not be getting the full out the router as my EE router is still the supply of my internet rather than it being my nighthawk my ping still seems high and I’m thinking that’s because the EE router is slowing it down by the time it gets to my nighthawk or I’m just getting the speeds that the EE router is giving me I don’t know !
Message 8 of 44
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Andy, what was confusing about the guides I linked you? In the Open NAT guide it tells you how you can get an open NAT which mentions about the DMZ as well. Look on the bottom of the EE Box to find the model name/number and then find the manual for that model online. In that manual look for DMZ or modem mode, modem mode is preferred but if not then DMZ is fine. Using those instructions along with the Open NAT guide I provided should get you sorted on that front.
Message 9 of 44
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

I’m really trying to achieve the lowest ping I can will that help my ping if it doesn’t then I really just want to lower my ping if you. Can help me with that iv set up the geo filter but still doesn’t feel right still feels as if I have a high ping
Message 10 of 44
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is the ping you're getting as shown by the Geo-Filter?
Message 11 of 44
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

The best one I have seen is like 20 ms but on my game I can check it and it says like between 30 to 40
Message 12 of 44
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The ingame ping includes things like processing delay etc which all games have. You can't do anything about that. The ping on the Geo-Filter is the direct ping to the server which is what you can control. 20ms is a very good ping!
Message 13 of 44
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

Some times it’s in its 30s tho and 50 on my game ping it’s like people are able to see you first and shoot me while I’m already round a corner it feels weird. Is there a way to lower the ping
Message 14 of 44
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

30 is still a very decent ping, you shouldn't be experiencing any lag with that kind of ping. Whatever your ping is to speedtest.net when nothing is using the internet add 10-20ms on top of that and that will be around the lowest you should expect to get online. If a particular server isn't playing well then force a different one by moving your home location/radius on the Geo-Filter.
Message 15 of 44
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

Is there anyway of choosing a particular server to play on all the time ? I have set my radios to like 500 kilometres from my home so I room it that would give me the best ping but some nights it’s terrible
Message 16 of 44
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's the right way to force the same server every time assuming there are no others within that radius. The server will have variables as well such as server load etc, even the time of day you play will affect your gameplay due to ISP congestion etc. If a server doesn't play well move your location/radius and encompass a different server. Some people prefer servers slightly further away, it's just about finding what works for you the majority of the time. Sometimes you will get bad games due to the variables I mentioned and that's normal.
Message 17 of 44
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

How do you know what server it’s choosing this as more than one icon comes up ? And is there no way of lowering my ping even more at all z?
Message 18 of 44
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Well usually the biggest icon is the server you're connected to. The icons adjust their size based on the number of connections being made, so the server is usually the biggest. Other icons can include players and authentication servers.

Message 19 of 44
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

Hi it’s regarding the night hawk again I can’t seen to chat with anyone In a party do you know what’s causing this like when we set up party chat no one can hear me and I can’t hear anyone else I have to use the game chat
Message 20 of 44
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you added all the people you're trying to talk to to your Geo-Filter allow list?
Message 21 of 44
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

How do you add people to your geo filter allow list ? I thought that was the servers you were allowing and denying
Message 22 of 44
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can see how to do so at the bottom of this guide: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000077072-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-g...

The router cannot discern between what may be a friend or a potential peer host, that's why if you allow them then the router will not block them despite your settings.
Message 23 of 44
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

Hi it’s me again with another problem I don’t know if you guys can help I don’t know if it’s my router or what when I’m in a close gun fight on call of duty the blackout mode I seem to be getting like loads of stutter like micro stutter and every time I loose the fight it’s really frustrating me and I don’t know what’s causing it it’s like I don’t have a chance every time I’m in a close gunfight and also I don’t get a lot of hitmarkera from distance shooting most games then I get one game that works really well out of like 100 games I really don’t know what’s going on but it’s really frustrating me
Message 24 of 44
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

When you notice this look at the Geo-Filter ping, does it fluctuate at all? Are you using the optimal QoS settings from the guide as well?
Message 25 of 44
Discussion stats
  • 43 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7