× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X500 - Gaming Optimisation with PlayStation Servers

CraigVance1989
Aspirant

Nighthawk X500 - Gaming Optimisation with PlayStation Servers

Hi guys/gals, Im after some advice with two subjects as my IT knowledge is limited. Any help would be awesome. Firstly my information;

- Cable Internet (Telstra Bigpond) 50down/5 up 7ping (location - Gold Coast, 4218 QLD, Australia)

- Nighthawk X500 Pro gaming router (running through a netgear cable converter box)

- Devices (Fixed cable, ethernet cat 6 - PC, Playstation 4 pro) (Wireless, Samsung TV, multiple mobile devices) 

Issue #1 - Gaming lag/dropouts on playstation 4 pro - Currently all games on the playstation network are having issues with lag or dropouts, I have managed to rectify this issue with 1 game via Port fowarding (battlefield V) however even this game is not 100%, others are showing very little difference with this current fix. I have prioritised and allocated roughly 80% bandwidth to the PS4 and altered the GEO filter to a 2000km radius of my current location. I should also mention that my old dodo adsl 5down/0.5up internet was working with less dropout issues then current cable setup (Telstra have tested lines and all cabling is good upto all devices, no outages in area) The issue to me seems to be some form of communication between servers (Sony primarily) As the Battlefield V fix was quite noticeable port fowarding. Any further optimisation would be really appreciated : ) 

Issue #2 - Wifi optimisation, currently all devices are streaming 1080 easily within my home bar 1 tv roughly 15m from the router (Router cannot be moved) I have given some priority to this tv but dont quite understand Wireless as well as fixed. I have the antennas in a a dual 30-45 degree angle pointing outwards and towards the tv (front of router closest to tv)     \  \  /  /      (like that) haha. I am unsure if i can fix this device to 5G or if there are any other tools available to prioritise this tv. 

Other things to consider 

-Telstra have tested cableing

-Modem does not indicate the drop outs via lights

-Playstation works well on adsl

-Port fowarding is enabled for 2 games (tested without, works much worse)

-Tried other routers, tried other cable outlets, tried factory reset 

-Playstation set as static IP via router as per port fowarding instructions

-Tested with WIFI disabled

Any help is welcome, thanks peeps 

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Nighthawk X500 - Gaming Optimisation with PlayStation Servers

Do you have an open NAT on the console? Instead of doing specific port forwards for one game putting the console in the DMZ would ensure the ports for all games on the console are available. Are you using the Geo-Filter on these games?

Are you receiving the full speeds you expect and do you have Anti-Bufferbloat enabled to ensure theres no local congestion?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you have an open NAT on the console? Instead of doing specific port forwards for one game putting the console in the DMZ would ensure the ports for all games on the console are available. Are you using the Geo-Filter on these games?

Are you receiving the full speeds you expect and do you have Anti-Bufferbloat enabled to ensure theres no local congestion?
Message 2 of 5
CraigVance1989
Aspirant

Thanks for the help. Telstra, being the amazing service that it is (sarcasm) failed to tell me that due to an outage I was running on the mobile network. I had asked them multiple times if this was a possibility but they are useless.

Also yeah I am using geofilter 2000km to my location.

Quick question - dmz was the last thing I was investigating. However it warns that this may affect other services/devices negatively. As I share the internet with streaming tv's etc would this affect them. Cheers : )
Message 3 of 5
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

It will almost certainly be fine, just make sure you continue to keep UPNP enabled. You'd know if there was a problem because the TV etc would not be able to connect to online services, but if UPNP is enabled this won't happen.

Message 4 of 5
gacjezv
Aspirant

Hi I am thinking of buying this router for my home and I have telstra Bigpond Cable.

2 questions

1. Do you like the router and is it delivering the performance you'd expect?

2. what is the cable modem details you are using? model etc?

Thanks very much 

Grant

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7