× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk XR 500 Connection Drops

Svylas
Follower

Nighthawk XR 500 Connection Drops

Hi there.

My routers product name was not listed in  in the model bar above for some reason  so please go by the title instead.  I'll also list my router  below.

Just purchased this router (Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR 500) yesterday and so far it has dropped connection for all devices (both through wifi and being hardlined in) about 4 times now.  It's got the latest firmware upgrade as  I just checked for it and all the cables are plugged in correctly.   After looking online, the latest firmware was supposed to solve the issue but apparently  it has not.  Is this a common problem?  I purchased this  since I  have quite a few devices (around 10) using wifi and my ISP's free router couldnt handle the job that well.

Is there a fix for this or is  this something I should continue to expect with this router?  It's quite an expensive router but if these connection issues persist I might  just return the product.  Is this connection issue model specific or  brand wide?    If anyone could shed some light on some possible explanations/suggestions on how to solve this problem it would be greatly appreciated.   Thank you.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

@Svylas wrote:

My routers product name was not listed in  in the model bar above for some reason  so please go by the title instead. 

That's because you have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers.

Netgear bills your devices as a Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router.

You might get better replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section:

Nighthawk Pro Gaming Routers - NETGEAR Communities

@Svylas wrote:
It's got the latest firmware upgrade as  I just checked for it

Two things, where did you check? The on-board test is less reliable than checking the support pages.

There is support for the XR500 at the end of this link:

>>>XR500 | Product | Support | NETGEAR<<<

Secondly, did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Message 2 of 4
xnsys
Luminary

The same issue that's plaguing the majority of the Netgear range.

My advice, take it back, get your money back, and buy something better.

Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

This is something we're aware of and investigating so there will be a fix. We suspect its to do with Instant On/Automatic Updates on a console. Could you switch these off on your console or if PS4 shut down fully and see if this resolves your issue please.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7