× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk XR1000 Bufferbloat high

JA23
Aspirant

Nighthawk XR1000 Bufferbloat high

I just got a XR1000 and was working on it all day to try and make it run right but im getting anywhere from 100 to 200 less download speed and my download buffer bloat is higher than my isps router/modem when i abled qos it made it worse does anyone know how i can make it so my download bufferbloat isnt so high? its alot worse than my isp provided router  

Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk XR1000 Bufferbloat high

what modem/gateway is the XR connected to? 

What speeds do you pay for? 

What speeds do you get hardwired into the modem/gateway?

Message 2 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Where are you testing the speed and bufferbloat exactly, using Connection Benchmark? If so we are still improving on the reporting from the feature so you can take the results with a pinch of salt.
Message 3 of 10
JA23
Aspirant

I’m using waveform connection benchmark and I tried using dslreport but for some reason it hasn’t been working with my xr1000 connected
Message 4 of 10
JA23
Aspirant

My XR is connected to the xFi Gateway 3rd Generation, I pay for 1000 download and usually get around 940 when plugged into my isp provided router/modem but on my XR get in the 700s for download upload is good though same thing with my bufferbloat only download is bad
Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

Is the router's IP address entered into the xFi's DMZ? or is the xFi in modem only mode?

Message 6 of 10
JA23
Aspirant

It’s acting as a modem only I put it in bridge mode
Message 7 of 10
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

If you completely disable QoS from the three-line menu in Congestion Control, does this improve the speeds?

Message 8 of 10
JA23
Aspirant

yes Ive had Qos disabled because having it on didnt change anything for my bufferbloat etc

Message 9 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

So you get your expected speeds with QoS disabled completely? When you don't get your speeds with QoS enabled what settings do you have? You won't be able to get rid of bufferbloat without using QoS, also bufferbloat only occurs when the connection is saturated and given your speeds that is unlikely to happen.
What QoS settings have you tried specifically and can you provide a screenshot of your test results?
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7