× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk XR1000 Connection Dropouts to Aussie Broadband NBN HFC

GreedyGuido
Aspirant

Nighthawk XR1000 Connection Dropouts to Aussie Broadband NBN HFC

I have been using Netgear routers for almost 30 years and recently upgraded from an N900 to a Nighthawk XR1000. My two kids and I do a lot of gaming and I like the features the XR1000 offered to gamers.

When I first upgraded to the XR1000 I was with Optus Cable (in Australia) but a week ago I transition to the Australian NBN via the HFC option. The XR1000 is running the latest firmware (58). The XR1000 ran fine when connected to Optus Cable other than I did note I was having issues with staying connected with the 5G Wifi .

The XR1000 was connected to the NBN HFC via Aussie BroadBand using WAN and Dynamic IP allocation and after a router reset to clear any old connection data (reset NBN modem as well) from Optus the XR1000 connected to the NBN. Aussie BroadBand does not use usernames and passwords under NBN.

The problem is that the XR1000 won't stay connected. Both WiFi and Wired connections randomly drop of. The XR1000 internet light is active but my PC and other hardware indicate connection to the XR1000 but no internet access.

I tried everything I know to make this connection stable but the issue continued.

To ensure it wasn't the NBN HFC modem I went and purchased a NetComm NF18ACV which is on the Aussie BroadBand approved list (basic little router). Connected using WAN and Dynamic IP allocation as per the XR1000 and straight away connected to the NBN and stable. No drop outs on either the Wired or Wifi interfaces.

Is there a Firmware issue with th XR1000 stopping it staying connected.

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk XR1000 Connection Dropouts to Aussie Broadband NBN HFC

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 13
GreedyGuido
Aspirant

The Australian NBN modem for the HFC connection is an Arris-CM8200.

It isn't a modem issue as the Netcomm NF18ACV connects and stays connected.

It is something specific to the XR1000

Message 3 of 13
GreedyGuido
Aspirant

On another note, when I had the XR1000 connected it wouldn't connect to PUBG.  It would start to connect then hang.  When I force the PUBG to close I always lost internet access to that PC.

It does not do this with the NetComm NF18ACV.  I can play PUBG Battlegrounds with no issues.

Message 4 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The PUBG issue is probably Geo-Filter related, if you disable that you should be able to play. Do you still have access to the interface when you get disconnected? If so can you take a look at the log file on the System Information page and see if there are any entries around the time of the disconnection please?
Message 5 of 13
GreedyGuido
Aspirant

Geo-Filter wasn't enables.

System say disconnect from internet but that isn't correct because other PCs stay connected and internet light on router does not indicate any issues.  The more I look into it to more I thin it is a firmware issue.

Message 6 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What error did you get trying to connect to PUBG?

Devices can stay connected to the router but not necessarily have internet access. The internet could have dropped and restored itself quickly, with some devices establishing the connections and others not. Can you provide the log please?
Message 7 of 13
GreedyGuido
Aspirant

PUBG didn't report an error, it just hung, but system advised that the the broadbband modem wasn't detected (requested diagnosis of issue).  Other computers stayed connected.

I was monitoring both the modem and router but there was no indication of loss of signal however the PC indicated this was the case.  Two other laptops and IPad remian on line at this time.

Over a 24hours period all computer systems experienced loosing internet connection and each time I have to reboot the router (any system will not stay online for more then a few hours).

I don't have this issue with the NetComm NF18 so I know it is a router related issue.

I am assuming you are requesting the .evtx files.  If so, none were generated for the event.  Are you refering to log files within the router.  I will need to bring it back online to do this so will wait until family is in bed ass they are all currently online.

Logging onto Aussie Broadband and looking at my service, no dropout were recorded since connection.  Ran all the test available under Aussie Broadband accessible by a user and all reported OK.  Again the Netcomm NF18 doesn't appear to have a problem.

Message 8 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

On the NetComm, assign the XR WAN IP as static/reserved, also put that in the NetComm DMZ please and see if that helps. The logs I was referring to the ones on the System Information page of the router but if you've unplugged the router then they will be lost now so try the above and see if that improves it.
Message 9 of 13
GreedyGuido
Aspirant

I am a bit confused with the last post.

The NetComm router isn't having any issues with the Dynamic IP setting.  It is only the NetGear Nighthawk XR1000.

The NBN HFC setup I have does have a static IP.  You have to pay extra to make the IP static.

Message 10 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

They both have to work together, settings above the XR can affect how it operates. By static IP I mean reserving the IP the NetComm gives the XR (also found on the System Information page on the XR) and putting that in the DMZ of the NetComm so that all traffic passes straight through to the XR and won't be affected by any NetComm settings.
Message 11 of 13
GreedyGuido
Aspirant

Now I undertsand,

Will wait until the weekend when family isn't here, switch back to the XR1000 and reconfigure.

Will let you know how this goes.

Message 12 of 13
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Sounds great, let us know!

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements