× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk XR1000 and TIMHUB

MrElios300
Guide

Nighthawk XR1000 and TIMHUB

Hi, I recently bought a second hand Nighthawk XR1000 from Amazon Warehouse ("like new" condition) but I can't manage to set up it. I followed Nighthawk App instructions, tried Static IP, Pppoe, but nothing works, everytime I get "No internet connection" in the app and can't connect to routerlogin.net on PC, the only thing I can do is connecting to my TIMHUB (FTTC connection) modem page. DHCP is enabled and if I use Static IP settings for XR it gets IP but no internet connection. I've tried hard reset and power cycling too. What else can I do?
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
MrElios300
Guide

@Netduma-Fraser @Netduma-Liam @plemans 

Solved... I tried a speedtest on my PC on WiFi and it worked really fine (almost the same as ethernet connection), so I tried on the browser on my Galaxy M31S and I got same results. So I looked at the app settings and discovered that it was showing MB/s not Mbps, I think it automatically changed after an update. I'm really sorry for wasting your time, I feel like a real dumbass.

I really appreciate your support, thank you so much. I apologize again.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 16

All Replies
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Could you please connect directly to the XR1000 via an ethernet cable and then open a web browser (Preferably something cache-less such as a Chrome Incognito window). Then, go to 192.168.1.1 in the browser.

Are you then met with the XR1000 setup wizard?

Message 2 of 16
plemans
Guru

Go into the timhub and set the netgears IP address into its DMZ. Most timhub's are modem/router combo devices. 

Message 3 of 16
MrElios300
Guide

First of all thank you both for your support. @Netduma-Liam @plemans 

My PC was already connected to XR via an ethernet cable (CAT6), but going to routerlogin.net resulted in "No internet connection" chrome page. I solved connecting it via WiFi (honestly I don't know why it worked this way), I followed setup wizard and it changed the Gateway to 10.0.0.1 , so now 10.0.0.1 is the DumaOS login page and 192.168.1.1 is the TIMHUB login page. Would you recommend another connection type like Static IP or PPPoE? (I'll connect only XR to TIMHUB modem/router and use it for gaming, multimedia broadcasting, office, ecc...)

But I have another problem right now, my WiFi speed is really slow. As I said previously I have FTTC (100/20Mbps profile), if I do a speedtest with the PC connected via ethernet (that after setup works fine) I get 80 to 90 Mbps in download and 20Mbps in upload, but if I do the same on my Galaxy M31S connected via WiFi 5Ghz (below 50cm from XR) via OOKLA Speedtest app I get only 10Mbps in download and 2.5Mbps in upload. I've already disabled TIMHUB WiFi and tried completely disabling QoS, but nothing changed.

Message 4 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You don't choose whether or not to use PPPoE, you either require it or you don't, as you have internet you do not need it so you can leave that alone now. Have you disabled Smart Connect then for the WiFi?
Message 5 of 16
plemans
Guru

Were you able to put the netgears IP address into the timhub's dmz?
Are you testing over 2.4ghz or 5ghz for the wireless? 

Have you tried changing wifi channels?

Message 6 of 16
MrElios300
Guide

@Netduma-Fraser thank you too.

@plemans Yes, I put XR IP address into the TIMHUB's DMZ, but nothing changes. I'm testing over 5Ghz, over 2.4Ghz download speed is around 4 to 5 Mbps and upload speed is below 1Mbps.

Smart Connect was already off, Enable AX is on, Beamforming is on, MU-MIMO is off, Transmit power is 100%.

I've done a bunch of channel tests.

Channel 36 : 11Mbps download/3Mbps upload 

Channel 40 : 10.5Mbps download/2.5Mbps upload

Channel 44 (first one) : 10Mbps download/2.5Mbps upload

Channel 48 : 10Mbps download/2.5Mbps upload

From channel 52 I get this message "By selecting a DFS channel, if a radar is detected, the channel will be changed automatically." (Google translate) so I don't know if I have to try.

Message 7 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you have any wireless (e.g. headphones, remotes etc) or electrical devices within close proximity to the router? (within ~3 feet) If so move them away and see if the speeds increase
Message 8 of 16
MrElios300
Guide

Yes, there are a PS5, a PS3, a TV and a monitor. I moved the XR in the center of my room with nothing near it and nothing changed.

Download and upload speeds via WiFi look like limited by something, on channel 36 download speed is always 11Mbps and upload speed is always 3Mbps, at 50cm from the XR and at around 7 or 8 meters from it. They don't change with the distance.

Message 9 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Just to double check, if you use the WiFi from your old router do you get expected speeds?

What is the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to?
Message 10 of 16
MrElios300
Guide

Yes, if I use TIMHUB's WiFi I get 80 out of 90Mbps, like with XR ethernet connection. I think the exact modem/router model is "Technicolor AGHP", at least that's what I see in TIMHUB's Gateway.

Message 11 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you still have that WiFi enabled as that can interfere with the XR WiFi, if you do disable that and then retest please. Also for the XR antennae set them like this _ | | _
Message 12 of 16
MrElios300
Guide

Nono, I disabled it before testing and put the antennae like that, because I read it on a forum.

Message 13 of 16
MrElios300
Guide

@Netduma-Fraser @Netduma-Liam @plemans 

Solved... I tried a speedtest on my PC on WiFi and it worked really fine (almost the same as ethernet connection), so I tried on the browser on my Galaxy M31S and I got same results. So I looked at the app settings and discovered that it was showing MB/s not Mbps, I think it automatically changed after an update. I'm really sorry for wasting your time, I feel like a real dumbass.

I really appreciate your support, thank you so much. I apologize again.

Message 14 of 16
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Ah I see, well thanks for letting us know!

No need to apologise, thanks for troubleshooting it with us.

Message 15 of 16
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear it was just a misunderstanding of settings 🙂

Hope it works great for you!

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements