× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk XR500 Blocking Adventure Academy

Evildaddy
Aspirant

Nighthawk XR500 Blocking Adventure Academy

My Nighthawk XR500 is blocking Adventure Academy from connecting to the server. I was able to verify this by bypassing the router and connecting my PC directly to my modem and the game connected with no problem. How can I rectify this issue?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@Evildaddy wrote:

My Nighthawk XR500 is blocking Adventure Academy from connecting to the server. I was able to verify this by bypassing the router and connecting my PC directly to my modem and the game connected with no problem. How can I rectify this issue?

Message 2 of 17
Evildaddy
Aspirant

The current firmware version for the Nighthawk XR500 is V2.3.2.56. I purchased the modem from amazon. It is a Netgear CM700. I doubt the modem has anything to do with the issue because when the PC was connected directly to the modem, bypassing the wireless router, I was able to play the game with no problem. I play MMOs and all types of other games with no issue. This is the only game I have experienced this problem with.

Message 3 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you using the Geo-Filter at all for the device? If so remove this, does that resolve it? Otherwise are you using Traffic Prioritization?
Message 4 of 17
Evildaddy
Aspirant

I dont believe geo-filtering is being used. When I navigate to the geo-filtering window there are no devices above the "Add Device" button. When I navigate to the QoS window, I have tried unchecking the All Devices -> DumaOS Classified Games check box, still no change.

Message 5 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you try disabling QoS fully in the Anti-Bufferbloat option menu please and see if there is a difference.
Message 6 of 17
Evildaddy
Aspirant

I have tried checking the disable QoS box, still no change.

Message 7 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

In WAN Settings could you switch NAT to open please and try again?
Message 8 of 17
Evildaddy
Aspirant

I switched NAT to open, no impact.

Message 9 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you provide some more information on what is being blocked exactly? Are you able to get on the main menu to the point where you're able to search for the game? Is it the point at which you search for a game that it doesn't work? Do they have any sort of error or message that appears?
Message 10 of 17
Evildaddy
Aspirant

I am able to open the application, the game is also able to patch and update. The game will get to the character selection screen with no problem. However, once you select a character and it begins to try to connect to the Adventure Academy server I receive a "Couldn't connect to server" error message. 

Message 11 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

When you get that message could you please look in the logs in System Information and see if there are any entries around that time as that may provide more info on what is causing that blocked connection.
Message 12 of 17
Evildaddy
Aspirant

[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 34.98.102.181, port 5222, Thursday, April 30, 2020 15:14:29
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 34.98.102.181, port 5222, Thursday, April 30, 2020 15:14:13
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 34.98.102.181, port 5222, Thursday, April 30, 2020 15:14:04
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 34.98.102.181, port 5222, Thursday, April 30, 2020 15:14:00
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 34.98.102.181, port 5222, Thursday, April 30, 2020 15:13:58
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 34.98.102.181, port 5222, Thursday, April 30, 2020 15:13:58

I believe this is the game. Odd thing is, to verify this was indeed the game I tried closing the app and retrying the connection and it doesn't always throw this up. Another thing worth noting is that the time is complelely wrong, its showing 3:13:58 but it is 6:18 here, not sure if that matters.

Message 13 of 17
Evildaddy
Aspirant

The time issue was just a incorrect setting in my NTP settings. Time is now fixed. Still having the issue with the game.

Message 14 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That IP is from Google so unlikely to be the cause unfortunately. If it's not QoS or the Geo-Filter I still feel like the most likely issue is to do with ports, have you done any manual port forwarding or triggering? Can you also put your phone IP in the DMZ in WAN settings please?
Message 15 of 17
Lok1472
Aspirant

I also have this IP DoS multipul times everyday. Is it abuse? Or is it something that should be getting thru?

Message 16 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No that is nothing to worry about, it is just connections you're coming into contact with. It's not an attack, it's normal.
Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7