× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk XR500 USB Control Center not recognizing my printer

t0ny
Apprentice

Nighthawk XR500 USB Control Center not recognizing my printer

Router : Nighthawk XR500

Printer : Samsung ML-2165 

I tested the USB ports and they recognize the Flash drives, but when I plug in the printer , there is no light on the router (USB) and the NETGEAR Usb Control Center does not see any printers - even if I turn off Firewall / Kaspersky Antivirus.

Any suggestions please? 

Thanks

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

NETGEAR confirmed that the ReadySHARE Print feature was mistakenly removed from the XR500 firmware and it will be restored in the next offical firmware release. We just need to sit tight for the next XR500 firmware release.

View solution in original post

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 14 of 15

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

ReadySHARE® USB to share your USB hard drive & printer is indeed a feature on the XR500, too.

To make it happen, the USB connected printer must be recognised, the USB LED must be on even without a connection over the network. Hope you are aware USB hubs are not supported, only one USB device direct connection.

Please re-post in the dedicated forum -> Home Networking -> Nightawk Pro Gaming and don't forget to include information about the installed (and current) firmware.

Message 2 of 15
t0ny
Apprentice

So far as instructed by support I did a reset but nothing changed. Printer is not recognized in the port.

Could anyone confirm that they have been able to connect their USB printers without a problem?

Message 3 of 15
t0ny
Apprentice

Forgot to mention first I did upgrade to the newest version as well but that didn't help as well.

Also the printer works fine when connected to USB ports on my laptop. So nothing wrong with it or the cable.

Tested both USB ports on the router, both ports won't light up. But they don't seem to have a problem recognizing the flash drive.

And yes, only one device at a time yes. 

I really wanted to be able to use my wired printer wirelessly...

Message 4 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi t0ny, I am not familar with the USB side of things as it's a Netgear feature. Did you call or email support? If you call you should get a higher level of support.

In USB Storage > USB Settings is enabled set to yes? If you click Approved Devices do you see the printer listed?
Message 5 of 15
t0ny
Apprentice

Hi, the support I am getting is trough email messages. 

Yes, the USB settings is set to Yes. In approved devices there are no devices listed. If I choose Add devices then it ask me to choose a device but since there are no devices listed I can not choose a device.

To me it seems that the router doesn't recognize the printer at all as the light doesn't turn on... I even tried a different printer, same thing.  I wanted to ask if anyone else is experiencing the same issue with their printers, hence posting it here on the community forums or is it my router / settings only?

Message 6 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd suggest calling instead of support conducted through email.

Also download the Netgear Genie app and click airprint on that and see if you can resolve it that way.
Message 7 of 15
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi t0ny,
Contact support and they will be able to help you with the issue.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Thank you for posting on the community. :]

- Jason N

Message 8 of 15
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi t0ny,

Just wanted to check in and see if the support team has fixed your issue.

Please let me know. :]

- Jason N

Message 9 of 15
schumaku
Guru

@JasonN wrote:

Just wanted to check in and see if the support team has fixed your issue.

@JasonN Whatever kind of magic support fixes is not the deeper sense of a community. Please share here what XR500 owners experiencing the same problem have to do to make the USB Control Center recognizing the USB port over the Ethernet. Thank you.

PS. Nether quoting with the username link nor using the @UserName form is accepted - HTML is still refused in this forum.

Message 10 of 15
t0ny
Apprentice

They will call me at arranged time, but I can not do this this week as I am away. I will update the thread with any news.

Message 11 of 15
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The ReadySHARE print feature was removed from XR500 if you look on the FW 2.2.1.10 there is no ReadySHARE print feature it was removed so this is why the USB Control Center is not detecting your printer.

Message 12 of 15
schumaku
Guru

@ErnestTheGreat wrote:

The ReadySHARE print feature was removed from XR500 if you look on the FW 2.2.1.10 there is no ReadySHARE print feature it was removed so this is why the USB Control Center is not detecting your printer.

All Netgear resources on the XR500 are still showing ReadyShare Print to USB as a feature - it's part of the (legally binding!) XR500 Product Data Sheet (available via XR500 Documentation) - beyond the ReadyShare Printer Utilities continue to be available on the XR500 Downloads  

Netgear can't randomly remove features which were in place - you are breaking the sales contract in many legislations!

Message 13 of 15
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

NETGEAR confirmed that the ReadySHARE Print feature was mistakenly removed from the XR500 firmware and it will be restored in the next offical firmware release. We just need to sit tight for the next XR500 firmware release.

Message 14 of 15
t0ny
Apprentice

Have they removed it from XR500 in the latest firmware, because I had the previous firmware and it was the same problem. This is what the USB Control Center looks like. See the picture. It was like that before the update as well. And there was no Printer share option in the Duma settings.

Where does it say that they removed it? Someone from support will call me today and if it is indeed a feature that was removed I do not want them to waste their time and mine too , looking for a solution that would be impossible to find. Do you have a link to that notice perhaps?

Thanks

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7