× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk XR500 USB Control Center not recognizing my printer

t0ny
Apprentice

Nighthawk XR500 USB Control Center not recognizing my printer

Router : Nighthawk XR500

Printer : Samsung ML-2165 

I tested the USB ports and they recognize the Flash drive and the USB light is on on the front of the router. I unplug the drive and I plug in the printer so there is only one device plugged in, there is no USB light on the router and the NETGEAR Usb Control Center does not see any printers - even if I turn off Firewall / Kaspersky Antivirus. 

The firmware of the router is XR500 V2.1.0.4

USB Control Center is 1.36 and Driver version 1.83.0

Any suggestions please? 

Thanks

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi t0ny, I would recommend calling Netgear support as they should be able to help you get this resolved quickly. If you login here: http://support.netgear.com/ you'll find a number to call.
Message 2 of 23
t0ny
Apprentice

4 months have passed and still no printer support. 

Message 3 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did you call Netgear as advised previously and have you upgraded to the latest version of the XR500?
Message 4 of 23
t0ny
Apprentice

Yes, I called, they called, we had long conversations and I sent them logs and it was concluded that this will be addressed in the new firmware. Well, I am on the latest firmware and nothing is changed.

Message 5 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is your support case number? I will escalate it.
Message 6 of 23
t0ny
Apprentice

Case #00298486

In the meantime I found this https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Printer-is-not-seen-since-firmware-update-V1...

Where is the ACL in Duma OS so I could try their suggestion?

But then again, I don't even see a ReadyShare Printer option in the USB Storage menu, just Media Server,  ReadyShare Storage, ReadyShare Vault and USB settings.

Message 7 of 23
t0ny
Apprentice

The last sensible reply from them was:

"We are still waiting for the next official Firmware release to fix issue with the readyshare print function of the router. There is not ETA yet but engineering is aware about this and fix will be added on the next Firmware release."

Message 8 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've sent you a PM, please see if its fixed the version I've given you. If not I can escalate.

That feature was removed by NG due to some issues.
Message 9 of 23
t0ny
Apprentice

Thank you , I can see the option now. 🙂 Now when I open the NETGEAR USB control center app I can see the XR500 which is good as I couldn't see it before and even the USB light is on now - success  🙂 But the XR500 listed in the USB control center is in red and you can't see the printer there. I will try few restarts and reboots and another printer later on and will let you know. Thank you.

Message 10 of 23
t0ny
Apprentice

Nothing , no success. Tried with 2 printers - Samsung and Canon. There are no printers listed under XR500 which stays in red. 😞 Also Windows can not find any printer when choosing Add a printer . If I plug them directly then printers are working flawlessly but when plugged into the router - nothing.

netgear usb control centernetgear usb control center

Message 11 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Download the Netgear Genie and try using it through the AirPrint functionality instead, does it work then?
Message 12 of 23
t0ny
Apprentice

Genie sees the printers, but I can not AirPrint as I don't own Apple products. Is there any other way?

netgear genie.JPG

Message 13 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm sure I have used it with a non Mac device before. When you try to find a printer from a network location on say a word document does the printer not appear?
Message 14 of 23
t0ny
Apprentice

OK so I tried the apps from my Samsung phone and I can print trough my Canon when is connected to my WiFi, so that means there is nothing wrong with the drivers nor the printer. Canon gets its own IP address and no problem there.

So yes the problem is when I want to use the USB connection / router port , neither of the printers are recognized - Samsung ML-2165 and Canon MG3650(wifi is off).

When I try to print I can see the printers but they all have my desktops IP address and the printing fails.

I think Genie only sees what the computer sees, the printers installed.

When I connect the printer to the USB port on the router, what should happen? Does the printer need to get an IP address from the router so the apps or PC can communicate with it ?

Message 15 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've reached my limit of knowledge using printers unfortunately, I assume you have tried all the USB ports available? It wouldn't get an IP address as its not connected via ethernet/wifi.
Message 16 of 23
t0ny
Apprentice

Yeah, I tried both USB ports , the lights are on, but no printers recognized unfortunately. I guess no luck with this firmware as well. 😞

Message 17 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Theres nothing else I can advise unfortunately. When the next firmware is officially released see if that resolves your issue
Message 18 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Just had a thought, make sure your PC firewall/anti-virus isn't blocking the control center/genie app. Windows Firewall asked me how to interact with it
Message 19 of 23
t0ny
Apprentice

It worked with the new update but then it stopped working today... I don't know what happened... Probably some Win update messed it up again.

Message 20 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Reinstall the firmware and see if that resolves it
Message 21 of 23
t0ny
Apprentice

Thanks, tried it few times but the Netgear USB contol center app won't see the printer again. Shame really... Thanks for your help anyway.

Message 22 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's unfortunate. The only thing I can suggest is to contact Netgear's support line as they're much more familar with how printers interact with their product.
Message 23 of 23
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7