× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk XR500 - Unable to Achieve Near 1Gbps Ethernet with Gigabit Service

mbaresch00
Follower

Nighthawk XR500 - Unable to Achieve Near 1Gbps Ethernet with Gigabit Service

Recently I upgrade my FiOS service from 200Mbps to 1Gbps service. Upon doing so, I was unable to achieve more than ~450Mbps upload speeds with my XR500 (Using the built-in connection test on the router dashboard) I was also unable to achieve near-gigabit speeds on a Windows PC with a known gigabit network card with a wired connection to the router. Upon switching the XR500 with my provided FiOS router, wired speeds were near gigabit. The XR500 is at factory settings (I also tried with QOS disabled to see if that helped any). I'm not sure if I've provided enough information, so please let me know if you need anything else. 

Model: XR500

Firmware Version: 2.3.2.130

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk XR500 - Unable to Achieve Near 1Gbps Ethernet with Gigabit Service

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the NightHawk Gaming Router products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with NH gaming router products and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-pro-gaming-rout...

Please include Brand and model # of the ONT that the XR router is connected too.

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 2 of 4

Re: Nighthawk XR500 - Unable to Achieve Near 1Gbps Ethernet with Gigabit Service

@mbaresch00 wrote:

Recently I upgrade my FiOS service from 200Mbps to 1Gbps service. Upon doing so, I was unable to achieve more than ~450Mbps upload speeds with my XR500

Another generic issue than can be covered here before sending people off on what could be a wild goose chase.

When you change your Internet service – hardware, supplier or speeds – you have a different network. So it helps to start from scratch. Tell all the devices on the network to forget any settings carried over from your previous network. Factory reset the XR500 to start with.

So, reset whatever gets the Internet to you and the router. Alternatively, take the router through its "setup wizard" so that it negotiates new setting in line with the new service.

If this doesn't fix your problem, by all means go the section for your hardware.

By the way, the XR500's hardware is effectively the same as that in the Nughthawk R7800, which is another reason why this is a reasonable place to ask for help.

Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the provided informaiton, that's really helpful.

I know you've mentioned the XR is at factory settings, but as above if you haven't factory reset it since upgrading the service you should definitely try that.

If the problem persists afterwards, could you please let us know how you are measuring the speeds? Using the built in Connection Benchmark or using a third-party speed-test?

Is Connection Benchmark also reporting lower speeds, or does it report the correct speeds?

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7