× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk XR500 Wired Slow Speed

Thonie
Initiate

Nighthawk XR500 Wired Slow Speed

I just bought a Nighthawk XR500 based on the positive reviews online. I don't want to be an early adopter of Wifi 6.

Anyhow, I'm subscribed to Gigabit from my Canadian ISP (Rogers) and my old router is averaging 700-800 Mbps DL speed.

Somehow, when I connected the XR500 (wired), I'm only getting 72 Mbps (DL) & 24 Mbps (UL).

Wireless: 238 DL and 27 UL.

Before I posted this, I went over similar speed issues & followed the suggested changes.

1. On Anti-Bufferbloat, set the mode to 'Never'
  2. On Bandwidth Allocation (also on the QoS page), click Reset Distribution on both the Download and Upload options
  3. On Bandwidth Allocation, open the Options menu using the Burger icon, and make sure 'Share Excess' is checked. You will need to do this on both the Download and Upload options
  4. In Traffic Prioritization, remove any manual rules you added.

Last step was disabling QoS' option. Nothing works! It's frustrating.

By the way, my router has a Firmware V2.3.2.56. My PC has Win 10.

I hope someone could help me out with this. If I cannot resolve the speed issues, I have to return it to the store.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Thonie
Initiate

Re: Nighthawk XR500 Wired Slow Speed

After so many frustrating days, I've finally resolved the issue.

The XR500 was able to capture 932 Mbps during the initial setup. So, I thought the QOS is somewhat limiting the output. I bought a 50 ft cable and hook it up to the router directly to the PC. Boom! DL started showing 880 Mbps & 32 Mbps UL. I removed the long cable & put back the old ones.

I started tracing my cables & swapping cables, nothing change...same slow speed.

The solution was powering off the ethernet switch. Lo & behold...my speed went back to close to gigabit speed.

BTW, I lived in a 3 story house so, there's a 5 port switch on each level.

I would like to thank both of you for responding to my initial post. I was about to go crazy trying to resolve the slow speed issue. The forum is a good source for troubleshooting. I wish that I came here immediately at the first sign of trouble instead of wasting my time reading the manual.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Sorry you're experiencing issues!

So are you saying that the speed issues persisted even after you ticked Disable QoS? If so, that rules out QoS as the cause of the problem.

The confusing element here is that Wireless is faster than Ethernet. I wonder if the wireless is what's limiting that max speed, or if the total throughput arriving to the router is lower than expected.

When you first started the router and it did a speed test, what were the suggested values?

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Are wired speed test to spec at the ISP modem directly? 

@Thonie wrote:

I just bought a Nighthawk XR500 based on the positive reviews online. I don't want to be an early adopter of Wifi 6.

Anyhow, I'm subscribed to Gigabit from my Canadian ISP (Rogers) and my old router is averaging 700-800 Mbps DL speed.

Somehow, when I connected the XR500 (wired), I'm only getting 72 Mbps (DL) & 24 Mbps (UL).

Wireless: 238 DL and 27 UL.

Before I posted this, I went over similar speed issues & followed the suggested changes.

1. On Anti-Bufferbloat, set the mode to 'Never'
  2. On Bandwidth Allocation (also on the QoS page), click Reset Distribution on both the Download and Upload options
  3. On Bandwidth Allocation, open the Options menu using the Burger icon, and make sure 'Share Excess' is checked. You will need to do this on both the Download and Upload options
  4. In Traffic Prioritization, remove any manual rules you added.

Last step was disabling QoS' option. Nothing works! It's frustrating.

By the way, my router has a Firmware V2.3.2.56. My PC has Win 10.

I hope someone could help me out with this. If I cannot resolve the speed issues, I have to return it to the store.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 6
Thonie
Initiate

After so many frustrating days, I've finally resolved the issue.

The XR500 was able to capture 932 Mbps during the initial setup. So, I thought the QOS is somewhat limiting the output. I bought a 50 ft cable and hook it up to the router directly to the PC. Boom! DL started showing 880 Mbps & 32 Mbps UL. I removed the long cable & put back the old ones.

I started tracing my cables & swapping cables, nothing change...same slow speed.

The solution was powering off the ethernet switch. Lo & behold...my speed went back to close to gigabit speed.

BTW, I lived in a 3 story house so, there's a 5 port switch on each level.

I would like to thank both of you for responding to my initial post. I was about to go crazy trying to resolve the slow speed issue. The forum is a good source for troubleshooting. I wish that I came here immediately at the first sign of trouble instead of wasting my time reading the manual.

Message 4 of 6
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

We're always here to help

Also on the Netduma forums: forum.netduma.com

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you found the problem. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink