× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk XR500 configuration for IPTV

m-corse
Aspirant

Nighthawk XR500 configuration for IPTV

Hi everyone

I have spent the last few days trying to get an HT500a IPTV set top box working with my new XR500 router but I'm not having much luck. I have configured VLAN tagging with a tag group of 10 and priority of 0 (these are the settings recommended by Vodafone in New Zealand) but I can't get a signal through to the set top box. The eth1 LAN connection on the router light still glows orange and the TV shows "check your internet connection".

I tried making a change in WAN setup so that IGMP Proxying is enabled as I believe this is needed for IPTV.

I am not sure about NAT Filtering and whether or not this should be Secured or Open? The default value from the factory is "Secured". It doesn't seem to work with either option selected.

Has anyone else managed to get IPTV working with the new XR500 router? It should be much easier than the mucking around I've had to do.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Greg, I'm not sure if the ISP will require it to be only accessed through the hub they provided or not. I'd recommend logging in here: http://support.netgear.com/ and calling the Netgear 24/7 support number as they'd be more familiar with this setup.
Message 2 of 12
m-corse
Aspirant

Thanks Fraser

I tried literally every possible combination of settings related to multicast and IGMP but I could not get the XR500 router to send IPTV traffic to the set top box. I tried splitting traffic using a VLAN tag and VLAN bridge but it didn't work. 

One thing I couldn't determine was whether there is a setting for enable IGMP snooping which I have heard might make a difference. Short of trying to use Wireshark to work out what's going on, I decided to call it quits and return the router for a refund after spending hours and hours trying to get it working.

A shame because I've purchased lots of Netgear products in the past and they've been great. 

cheers,

Greg

Message 3 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear you returned it, had you confirmed with the ISP that they did allow it to work with 3rd party routers?
Message 4 of 12
Ex0n
Tutor

Hi, i have now been contacting netgear support lvl 3 to help me out with IPTV config in the XR500. I have also a big issue with this setup.

Due to i creat a VLAN tag group with internet set ID 10 and prio 0, the i know my Distrubtion VLAN ID TAG witch is 501 and prio 4.

even if i do this witch also show in the guid on netgear. My router can only process one of either package so why i apply this settings but internet shouts down and everything blinks orange as it dosent work but the IPTV is coming through which is so weird and i can watch the tv but everything els is out.

I have now run a debug log for lvl 3 support and send it to them and see if they can cript out what is going wrong.

But if nothing work i want netgear to take responsible and either send my money back or send a newer model which works with IPTV. But otherwise the internet connection is fantastic but the VLAN need to work.

Anyone els know whats the cause of this? Anyone solved this problem?

Message 5 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you heard anything from L3 support?
Message 6 of 12
Ex0n
Tutor

Hi, im not sure what kind of support i have been given.
Because the problem still remains and i send log files of the VLAN and they try to figure it out.
I even contacted my ISP to secure if they might know whats the cause but they didnt either understand whats the issue.
They talked about IGMP Snooping wich i havent been using before. but i cant get it to work with that either.

Seems some software issue with the Netgear nighthawk XR500 is the issue.

But im not sure.
Anyone els got any idé how to solve this?

Kind R.
Christian Ulmered

Message 7 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Using VLAN and IGMP the issue still isn't resolved? I'd chase the ticket you have open
Message 8 of 12
Ex0n
Tutor

Yes please do, the last information was about me discribing witch ip goes to witch device.
Also my ISP's provide me the VLAN ID TAG 501, Prio 4.
Default for VLAN ID INTERNET 10, PRIO 0.
Witch should have worked.

My ISP's talked about that the
VLAN for internet needs to be untaged but thats impossible due to the XR500 are defaulted as taged in the VLAN tag. im not quite sure what they mean by untag when its already there as default.

However according to me, it shouldnt bee this hard to config an IPTV due to the steps are quite phew and very simple.
The IGMP was something to come up when i talked to my ISP even though they are not technician so they wasn't 100% how to use this and if it was needed for the router.

Rommel on netgear support is the contact man that esculated my case futher, now im not sure but it seems they are replying back to him and me.

Funniest thing was when i config the IPTV, my IPTV are going through and shows on the TV but then the internet shuts down. and my ISP can see that my IPTV is sending out an IP adress but not my internet. So it very clear that the package protocoll isnt working as it should.
And why are the internet shutting down its so weird.

Kind R.
Christian

Message 9 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I meant for you to chase the ticket, I don't work for Netgear so don't have access to their ticketing system.
Message 10 of 12
gamestoned
Aspirant

Did you manage to solve this. I'm facing this on my brand new XR500. Configured IPTV on my Samsung MU8000 using SmartIPTV app but while swiping channels it takes anywhere between 10-15 secs & most of the time connection failed.

Message 11 of 12
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

(Just replied to your other thread with a suggestion btw)

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7