× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk XR500 prioritizing PS4 usage

NickCadena
Aspirant

Nighthawk XR500 prioritizing PS4 usage

Hello, I recently moved to a new apartment and completely re-did my entire internet setup. New provider, new modem, and a new router. My girlfriend has been complaining that every time I get on my PS4 Pro the internet on her laptop gets throttled really badly and she can't stream Netflix/Hulu on our smart TV. The PS4 is hardwired to the router. I did mess around a little bit with my routers interface (DUMAOS) but I don't believe I changed any settings that would have prioritized my PS4's connection to that extent. Does anybody have a solution to this problem, have had this issue before, or know of any settings that I should check? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

This is my current setup:

Router: Netgear Nighthawk XR500 Gaming Router

Modem: Netgear CM1000 (with DOCSIS 3.1 if that matters)

Internet Provider: Cox Communications

Internet Plan: Cox High Speed Internet Ultimate (up to 300mbps down & 30mbps up)

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Nick, when you go on the PS4 Pro do you notice if it starts downloading an update/game? If so then that could cause issues for the TV if you do not have QoS enabled. Also what are your QoS settings? A screenshot would also be helpful.
Message 2 of 8
NickCadena
Aspirant

Here is a screenshot from dumaOS. And everytime i play an online game it seems to interfere with the internet. Not necessarily when i download somethingHere is a screenshot from dumaOS. And everytime i play an online game it seems to interfere with the internet. Not necessarily when i download something

Message 3 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Can you upload to imgur and post the link here instead please as it takes awhile to appear due to moderation
Message 4 of 8
NickCadena
Aspirant

Yes, sorry about that. Here is the link to the screenshot of my QoS on DumaOS

https://imgur.com/N6MWodz

Message 5 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yeah you need to lower the Anti-Bufferbloat download and upload sliders to 70% each to eliminate local congestion
Message 6 of 8
NickCadena
Aspirant

So I'm not 100% familiar with what exactly lowering those sliders is actually doing. Do you have a simple explanation to it? 

Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you click the ? icon on the Anti-Bufferbloat panel that should explain it
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7