× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk XR500 - slowing my speeds down

ZONA69
Tutor

Nighthawk XR500 - slowing my speeds down

So I have Cox Gigablast. Speedtest from modem directly to PC I was getting 750 download and 35 upload. When I connect through my XR500, the download speeds plumit down to 90 while the upload only slightly decreases to about 20.

I've looked online at various guides/settings and geez, I can't figure out why I am getting such a huge hit on my speeds. I have no kids, just me and my GF and she hardly even uses a computer or phone so there's no huge allocation to other devices. I am hard wired into my router from my deskopt PC. I've double checked to make sure cables are all newer and in good shape. Cox service tech came out and tested from modem and was getting 900 download. 

Please, somebody help me get these speeds up. Nothing worse than paying top dollar for high speeds and not getting anything close to them. Thanks. 

Message 1 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Nighthawk XR500 - slowing my speeds down

Go to the Device Manager and change to the table view. What are the link speeds for the WAN/Internet and LAN ports? If you disable QoS fully in the Anti-Bufferbloat 3 line option menu and redo the test does it increase?
Message 2 of 10
ZONA69
Tutor

I'm not sure what you want me to do. I don't see a speed showing for WAN/LAN. But I posted a screen shot of the table view in QOS. Link attached. 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the screenshot. The ethernet cable connecting your XR router to the modem is only capable of 100Mbits, you will need to use an ethernet cable that is at least Cat5e, you need another one for the ethernet cable in port 4 as well. Once you've done that you'll receive your full speeds.
Message 4 of 10
ZONA69
Tutor

Thank you so much. That definitely was the problem. Now my download speed is 760 and my upload is 35. 

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Thanks for the screenshot. The ethernet cable connecting your XR router to the modem is only capable of 100Mbits, you will need to use an ethernet cable that is at least Cat5e, you need another one for the ethernet cable in port 4 as well. Once you've done that you'll receive your full speeds.

Message 5 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear that, thanks for the update!
Message 6 of 10
Joeqmr2
Aspirant

I have 500 upload speed coming out of my modem, but my out put is 123.  I followed thred that suggested that I use at least a Cat5e model cable.  That seem to fix the other persons problem, but not mine.  I have Cat5e installed and still have slow output speed.

Help please

Message 7 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you input the speeds you expect into the Bandwidth settings? Are you using QoS?
Message 8 of 10
Joeqmr2
Aspirant

I'm not very techy, but it looks like my QoS is disabled.  I don't know how to change expected bandwidth settings.  Sorry

Message 9 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Not a problem, I would recommend you follow our optimal settings guides here which will also tell you how to get full speeds http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7