× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk XR500

Dlucas78
Aspirant

Nighthawk XR500

I have purchased and upgraded my home router to the AC2600.  I have also upgraded my 1GB internet.   However when I have my computer plugged directly into the router.  My speed never will go to above 300mps on the speed test.  I can plug my connection directly into the IP Modem, and get around 980 Mps.  I have contacted my ISP and they tell me that Nighthawk XR500 can't go about 300mps.  I have loooked through the forms I can't find anyone that has had this problem.   I wanted to post and see if anyone has seen this and if there is a setting on the Nighthawk Pro XR500, that I am missing to turn on so I can get the speed up to 1Gps.   Thanks for everyones help.

Thanks

David

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Do a reset on the XR router and walk thru the setup wizard. When it gets to the detected internet speed. Let us know what it detects here. 

You can also manually input speed settings 1000/1000 I believe under QoS...

Message 2 of 8
Dlucas78
Aspirant

Nighthawk current Firmware 2.3.2.32

ISP Modem Netgear CM-1000-1AZNAS

DOCSIS 3.1 21X8

Message 3 of 8
Dlucas78
Aspirant

When it goes through the setup and dectects the speed I get 300/300  which it is suppose to be 1 GPS up and 1 GPS down.

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you manully input 1000/1000? 

Something you need to contact NG support about. 

Message 5 of 8
Dlucas78
Aspirant

I have spoke to netgear support for 3 times. They keep telling me to call my ISP. My ISP tells me to call netgear. When I change it to 1000/1000. My router slows network to a crawl
Message 6 of 8
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi Dlucas,

First of all the Nighthawk can definitely do over 1000mbps speed, so ignore your ISPs advice there!

Could you try this please:

1. Disable QoS in Anti-Bufferbloat's options (click the three horizontal lines in the top left corner of the panel)
  2. Does your modem have a bridge mode or a modem mode option? If so, please enable that
  3. Disable IPv6 in >Settings >Advanced 

One other thing - does your connection use PPPoE?

Message 7 of 8
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

If disabling QoS gets you to full speeds, could you follow this guide to get QoS setup correctly to allow full speeds: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000076586-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-spee...

(you'll need to re-enable QoS first of all).

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7