× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk XR500

GabrielZ
Aspirant

Nighthawk XR500

Hi guys, so iam about to buy the xr 500, to play on my xbox on X, MT question is, I am leaving in Australia, and I am playing black drsert wich is a MMORPG open world, but my ping is kinda big because the server is at Us, u guys think this router will improve a lot the ping, my internet it's pretty good btw! Only the distance it's the problem T-T, I hope this router solve this
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

I don't think the XR500 will solve the problem. There are two reasons why:

1. If the USA is the closest server, the ping will always be high no matter what you do.
  2. Black Desert online allows you to choose your servers already, so Geo-Filter wouldn't do anything additional.

If you experience congestion on your local network, the QoS features of DumaOS can help you to balance it out so your gaming remains uninterrupted. The Geo-Filter can help you a lot if you play shooters or racing games, but for MMORPGs it's less effective. This is because MMORPGs let you choose your region and server.

Message 2 of 8
GabrielZ
Aspirant

Oo I thought I could connect directly to us servers, like some VPN and software do, I do this on pc and my ping got much better, I thought geofilter I could do that on my xblz
Message 3 of 8
GabrielZ
Aspirant

Like tunneling directly to us, I do this on pc and my ping got lot better, when I read about the geofilter I thought he can do that
Message 4 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Even using a VPN to directly connect to a US server would still mean you have a high ping if not higher. The issue is distance, there's nothing you can do about that if that's the only server available.
Message 5 of 8
GabrielZ
Aspirant

I am telling you, pc game I can use WTFast, so my ping before 240 and with WtFast(GPN) was 160, that's what I am telling you, I thought this router could connect directly to a sever on Us, like some Asus WtFast routers
Message 6 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If they have better routing to the server then it's possible but the Geo-Filter does not control routing or anything like that - it's not a VPN. It simply ensure you get on the closest server by blocking all other servers of the game, forcing you onto the one of your choice.
Message 7 of 8
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

If using a VPN results in better ping for you, then you could use the Hybrid-VPN feature of DumaOS to connect your VPN.

I suppose it's possible that you could get better ping using a VPN but it sounds unlikely to me.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7