× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk XR500

AdamL0309
Aspirant

Nighthawk XR500

Hi, I recently purchased this Router as I’m a serious gamer and loved the look of it, however I didn’t realise it couldnt just be plugged in and used as it has no built in Modem?? I am currently with Plusnet BB and the only way I can use my new router is if it’s plugged into the old router and I guess it uses that to pass the internet through, obviously I need to get a modem as I’m not getting anywhere near the power out of the XR500 as I should be, can anybody help me by explaining in as simple terms as you can and also if I need to purchase a modem the best one to get?

Many thanks!!
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk XR500

what gateway is the plusnet BB? (model number)

you might be running a double nat currently. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

And the modem recommendation is entirely on your ISP. Some ISP's only support certain gateways/modems so you'd want to contact them to figure out whats the best for your service speeds and what they support. 

Message 2 of 9
AdamL0309
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for your reply! I don’t know what you mean by gateway? And I looked into the Double NAT link and it seems like yes that’s exactly what’s going on with my setup but I have no idea how to get around it, it’s all so confusing please help!
Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

plusnet bb= plusnet broad band.  it isn't a model number. Its a brand.

What model are you connecting t he XR500 to?

Some you can put in passthrough/modem only mode. You'd need to contact the isp for the best way to do so as its their device. 

Message 4 of 9
AdamL0309
Aspirant

So I’m connecting it to the Plusnet HUB 1, I’ve just got off of the phone to the ISP and they said they’re router (HUB 1) doesn’t support “bridge mode” the guy didn’t seem to sure but he said maybe to purchase a modem called the DM200? Back to square 1 im confused..
Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

potentially the plusnet device has a dmz built it. 

Set the dmz in it to the nighthawks ip address.  

Message 6 of 9
AdamL0309
Aspirant

Where do I have to do that? Sorry for being stupid lol
Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

Start in the user manual for the plusnet device. you still haven't put model number but find the manual for it and look up putting a device into the dmz.
Message 8 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As above, there is no need to buy a new modem when the DMZ should be sufficient. If it doesn't have a DMZ option then you can port forward 1-65535 TCP/UDP to the router and it will have essentially the same outcome. Also disable WiFi on the hub.
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7