× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk XR500

AL221
Aspirant

Nighthawk XR500

I just got the new Xbox series X, and my console was having trouble downloading content. I am using a wired connection that’s connecting to 1st wired port on the router. When I went to the VLAN/Bridge settings under advanced settings of the DUMAOS settings, I enabled the VLAN/Bridge group and under bridge group, I selected the first wired port, and applied the settings, and somehow my Content started downloading. Is there a reason why this worked. It is safe?
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Nighthawk XR500

Do you know if you actually require VLAN? I would be very surprised if you didn't and that cause it to work. What is your exact physical setup?
Message 2 of 23
AL221
Aspirant

Thanks for replying! I honestly have no idea if I require it. Honestly don’t even know what that means, lol, I’m not very good with this router stuff. By my physical setup do you mean how my router is setup?
Message 3 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay so you probably don't need it then, no idea how that worked. Yes how is the XR connected to the internet e.g. through an ONT, ISP modem/router etc and how your devices are connected.
Message 4 of 23
AL221
Aspirant

My router is connected to a little ISP modem. My Xbox is connected through a wired connection. All my other devices are connected by WiFi.
Message 5 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What XR500 firmware are you using? Have you disabled VLAN since and seen whether the downloads work properly?
Message 6 of 23
AL221
Aspirant

Firmware is on V2.3.2.66. And I just turned VLAN off right now and started downloading something, and it downloads for a little bit, then it stops. It downloads stuff very very slowly. Looks like download froze now. I just enabled VLAN again and everything downloads smoothly.
Message 7 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Disable it again but disable QoS entirely from the Anti-Bufferbloat 3 line option menu and see if it works properly then please.
Message 8 of 23
AL221
Aspirant

Yeah I just disable VLAN and QOS and it is downloading! I’m just confused on why, since the router says turning this off is not recommended.
Message 9 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It was most likely Traffic Prioritization prioritizing too much, did you have any manual rules there that you had added.
Message 10 of 23
AL221
Aspirant

I had my old Xbox one x on there as a Game Console. Before I disabled qos I removed it and added my Xbox series X, but the downloads still didn’t work until I disabled QOS.
Message 11 of 23
AL221
Aspirant

Is there a way I can get QOS to work with my console?  Im also getting a strict nat type and a double nat as well.

Message 12 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you've got VLAN enabled when you don't need it that will affect NAT. What is your exact physical setup? Make some Traffic Prioritization rules for the Xbox instead:
Make the source ports 1-65535 and the destination:
TCP/UDP: 3074
UDP: 500,3544,4500
Then see if downloads work better.
Message 13 of 23
AL221
Aspirant

My physical setup: router is connected to a little ISP modem by a wired connection. My Xbox is connected through a wired connection. All my other devices are connected by WiFi.  Do I do that all in the QOS?

Message 14 of 23
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

You can add rules for these ports in Settings -> Advanced settings -> Port forwarding

If this doesn't help, you can also try logging into the modem's interface and adding the XR500 into the DMZ.

Message 15 of 23
AL221
Aspirant

I have multiple consoles in my house and I heard that port forwarding dosent work when there is multiple consoles.  Also isnt putting the router in the DMZ risky?

Message 16 of 23
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Have you tried it? I don't see why port forwarding wouldn't work with multiple consoles particularly as you can specify the device in port forwarding.

Putting your router in the modem's DMZ isn't risky in this scenario, because you're modem is opening up its ports to the XR500, but the XR500 still has a firewall.

Message 17 of 23
AL221
Aspirant

Sounds good. Going to give port forwarding a try, so I’m in the port forwarding page, and it says server IP address, do I put the Xbox’s ip there? And since I’m doing port forwarding do I have to set up a static ip for my Xbox?
Message 18 of 23
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

I would suggest you do indeed setup a static IP for the xbox yes.

When in port forwarding, select add custom service and you should be able to select your xbox from a list at the bottom instead of entering its IP! 

Message 19 of 23
AL221
Aspirant

Sounds good!  Also here is an update, about my physical setup, I dont have a modem at all, all I have is my nighthawk.  All my ISP provided was like a little power adapter for the internet since I had my own router.  So it might just be something in my router causing it to get a doublenat and strict nat type.

Message 20 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's odd, is it a MoCA adapter? The ISP can block ports, the router itself wouldn't give it a double NAT - double NAT shows the device is behind two layers of NAT restrictions. If you have the model of the adapter then we can look at that but I would also contact the ISP to see what they're blocking.
Message 21 of 23
AL221
Aspirant

I don’t think it’s a moca adapter and sadly I don’t know the model number. It’s just a little white box that is connected to my router and gets the internet connection from a power outlet. I’m trying to send a picture but it says the file is to big to upload on here.
Message 22 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Lets continue on the netduma forum as I've responded to you there.
Message 23 of 23
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7