× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk XR700 and AT&T Router IP Passthrough

iamsotorious
Aspirant

Nighthawk XR700 and AT&T Router IP Passthrough

Hello all.

I just recently switched to AT&T Fiber and i am using my router via ip passthrough. I have a small issue going on. When i connecto to the internet through my nighthawk XR700 i will get a packet drop that is siginificant enough to lag me in a game. When i take my router out of the AT&T modem / router, and plug straight into the AT&T router i do not experience this. Is there a possible setting that i am missing with th is pass through stuff that might be causing that. 

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

You'll need to contact the ISP and have them help you set up any IP pass thru that the ISP modem/router has. Might ask them if it has DMZ and you could use it's DMZ for the XR router. 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. Or Configure IP pass thru if DMZ is not an option on the modem. 

@iamsotorious wrote:

Hello all.

I just recently switched to AT&T Fiber and i am using my router via ip passthrough. I have a small issue going on. When i connecto to the internet through my nighthawk XR700 i will get a packet drop that is siginificant enough to lag me in a game. When i take my router out of the AT&T modem / router, and plug straight into the AT&T router i do not experience this. Is there a possible setting that i am missing with th is pass through stuff that might be causing that. 

Message 2 of 27
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great suggestions above, I would see with the other options instead such as DMZ if you still experience the dropped packets.

Also were you using QoS/Geo-Filter at all?
Message 3 of 27
iamsotorious
Aspirant

Ok so i been running some tests with pingpliotter 5, and it is the Netgear router being an issue its the actual router losing a packet some how which closes the connection and causing my spikes. I ran multiple test, i ran straight from the at&t router which i played for an hour no problem, I then switched to my old apple router and it had no problem and came back to netgear router and getting those same packet drops. and i am beyond my return policy i had an issue early on with my router not achieving giabit speeds and i did the dumb mistake of not returning this router.

Message 4 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

This will help us know what modem yoru using and how to direct you. 

You'll need to contact the ISP and have them help you set up any IP pass thru that the ISP modem/router has. Might ask them if it has DMZ and you could use it's DMZ for the XR router. 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. Or Configure IP pass thru if DMZ is not an option on the modem. 

@iamsotorious wrote:

Ok so i been running some tests with pingpliotter 5, and it is the Netgear router being an issue its the actual router losing a packet some how which closes the connection and causing my spikes. I ran multiple test, i ran straight from the at&t router which i played for an hour no problem, I then switched to my old apple router and it had no problem and came back to netgear router and getting those same packet drops. and i am beyond my return policy i had an issue early on with my router not achieving giabit speeds and i did the dumb mistake of not returning this router.

Message 5 of 27
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

1. As Furry said, does your modem have bridge mode?
  2. Are you using the normal WAN port on the back of the XR700 to wire into the modem?
  3. Which firmware version are you on? You can find this by clicking the 'i' icon in the top right corner
Message 6 of 27
iamsotorious
Aspirant

The modem does not have a bridge mode feature. AT&T did help me setup the up pass through. The AT&T modem I do have is BGW210-700.

With all my test it it only Happens on the netgear I did get amazon to get me a return label thankfully.
Message 7 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

It's recommended if your ISP supports a stand alone modem, to use this. ISP modems with built in routers cause problems for external routers connected behind them. Especially the ATT modem model. 

Good Luck. 

@iamsotorious wrote:
The modem does not have a bridge mode feature. AT&T did help me setup the up pass through. The AT&T modem I do have is BGW210-700.

With all my test it it only Happens on the netgear I did get amazon to get me a return label thankfully.

Message 8 of 27
iamsotorious
Aspirant

Why is it that my apple router doesnt do that same hiccup?

Message 9 of 27
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Let us know how you get on with your replacement router 🙂
Message 10 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Others have been able to get NG routers working on it this model model:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Setting-up-Nighthawk-X10-behind-AT-amp-T-BGW...

Message 11 of 27
iamsotorious
Aspirant

Mine works behind with IP Passthrough it just drops packets every 10 minutes.  causing me to harder lock stutter in games.

Message 12 of 27
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you able to try without IP Passthrough to see if you get the same packet loss?
Message 13 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Does this modem have a DMZ option? I would try that with out IP Pass Thru if possible

@iamsotorious wrote:

Hello all.

Message 14 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Also be sure to load up the first released FW version for the XR700. Others have reported having issues with more recent versions and going back to the initial first version fixed there issues. 

Message 15 of 27
iamsotorious
Aspirant

Mine only goes back 1 version out of the box does anyone know of a stable version?

Message 16 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Others have said that 1.0.0.20 worked for them...

Message 17 of 27
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Not sure what you mean exactly, there are three versions available here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR700.aspx#download
Message 18 of 27
iamsotorious
Aspirant

so after the downgrade it did get a lot better, the router still drops packets but not as significant as before, but the fact remains its still dropping out some how. 

When previously before it would drop packet hard at the top and make a red line across all 3 and cause the hard stutter, this time it isnt hard stuttering and its only dropping at the router side. 

Tomorrow i still have the rma for amazon im torn on what to do.

Message 19 of 27
iamsotorious
Aspirant

so after the downgrade it did get a lot better, the router still drops packets but not as significant as before, but the fact remains its still dropping out some how. 

When previously before it would drop packet hard at the top and make a red line across all 3 and cause the hard stutter, this time it isnt hard stuttering and its only dropping at the router side. 

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 20 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

You might return the unit and hold off a while until NG gets this corrected. Then come back and try another one. Just keep an eye on the download site for updates. 

@iamsotorious wrote:

Message 21 of 27
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That plot looks really good to me, the packet loss looks very minimal. If it's not actually causing you a network issue then I would say that's normal. Sometimes packet loss happens but it's not always bad. A service or program could send more packets than is needed to ensure it gets to its destination and therefore some may get dropped along the way.
Message 22 of 27
pinkfloyd
Tutor

Have you tried the dumb switch method? I also have att fiber, "only internet" not uverse! I dont use the att Gateway anymore, I by pass it and just use my Asus Rt-ac3100.

I'm here on theses forums because I was thinking of trying this router out again. But seems to me that it's still broken??? To bad. Seems like netgear never really got to fix it after all.

I might try it just to see if the dumb switch method would work and maybe not cause all the issues people are having with this thing.

Here is the link to the thread on dsl reports, all the info is on page 2 of the thread. I know the thread is not the model that you have, and believe me everybody who has att fiber wants the gw you have.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32172124-AT-T-Fiber-5268AC-DMZ-to-Router-Speeds-50-200
Message 23 of 27
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What are the issues you're having pink?
Message 24 of 27
pinkfloyd
Tutor

I am not having any issues, I was replying to the OP.

Message 25 of 27
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7