× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk XR700 not getting full gigabit speeds

iamsotorious
Aspirant

Nighthawk XR700 not getting full gigabit speeds

Hello.

I purchased a nighthawk righter earlier this month and i have not been able to achieve gigabit speeds.

attached screenshots show after multiple test.

I have updated firmware its the same on both firmwares

I have disbaled QOS

I have disabled wifi

I have tried multiple cables. 

I have updated my mobo drivers (Asus Rampage V Extreme haswell chipset)

I have removed computers from the network. 

Disabled  port aggregration 

diabled anything related to sharing  disabled more in QOS that i should and even took my main pc to 1000mpbs anyway 

set my dns to google 

made it force use my mac address for my pc 

I have contact neatgear support and they told me to return the router. I am reaching out ot see if you guys have any possible solutions.with poe no cablet..PNGmodem direct connect.PNG

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 23
iamsotorious
Aspirant

I also no disbaled port triggering, which helped a bit. but still not quiet there.

Message 2 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

How are you speed testing? wired or wireless? 

Try different PC to see any differences? 

You might try this, manually download the FW file. Manually send it using IE11, FF or Opera. 

Factory reset the router with a wired PC and ALL other devices disconnected from the router. While the Router is being reset. Power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds, then turn it back on. 

Log into the router and walk thru the setup wizard. See if the auto detect speed gets anything hear 900Mb. If not manully input ISP speed UP and down. Then test with a web browser with speedtest.net or your ISP speed test site. 

Message 3 of 23
iamsotorious
Aspirant

I have an Arris Surfboard SB8200 docsis 3.1

https://www.amazon.com/Next-Generation-ARRIS-Surfboard-SB8200-DOCSIS/dp/B01N6SKK1G

Firmware is the latest one out, if i do check updatesi dont get any newer ones, i had the firmware right before this or whatever it shipped with. Still same issue on both firmwares.

Its modem, router, then computers

Everything is wired tested. I have tried 3 different computers, each computer varys a bit but still sub par of 900 mbps

When i speed test through the app i do get a lot higher maybe like 740s with the nighthawk app to the router, but never see that on the comptuers and still it slike the router is not capable of hitting 1gbps?

When i first did the setup wizzard never showed me speeds but that could be because i accidently clicked 10gb port and had to go into the router and change it. 

I guess i need to try the reset and see if that would work, now which version of the firmware should i try the most recent one and try to upload it to the router manually and see if that also helps? Just make sure its not chrome that im doing it with. I am a bit skeptical but at this point might as well try it, its that or just return the router.

Message 4 of 23
iamsotorious
Aspirant

Also how do you manually enter the speeds, or can this only be done during the initial setup wizard of the router?

Message 5 of 23
Rick6922
Luminary

go to QoS ,click on the three bars at top left of page beside anti-bufferbloat,click on speed that its showing and change.

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 6 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Rick is correct.

What did you get after you reset the router? You said you disable QoS, was this from Anti-Bufferbloats options menu that specifically has an option called Disable QoS? If not do that and you should absolutely get much close to your expected speeds
Message 7 of 23
iamsotorious
Aspirant

After reset i still get the same QOS is disabled yes i disbaled it from the 3 dashes and clicked it. 500-600. I saw the speed test shows 750 on router, i then inputed 950 and re tested again but still getting 500-600

i have cat 5e cable from mdoem to router, and cat 6 cable coming out ot my computer.

Message 8 of 23
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi - if you connect the same PC (and Ethernet cable) to your Modem, do you get your full speeds wired? Have you tried factory resetting your router and setting it up again?

Message 9 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a new CAT6 cable between the modem and router. 

@iamsotorious wrote:

After reset i still get the same QOS is disabled yes i disbaled it from the 3 dashes and clicked it. 500-600. I saw the speed test shows 750 on router, i then inputed 950 and re tested again but still getting 500-600

i have cat 5e cable from mdoem to router, and cat 6 cable coming out ot my computer.

Message 10 of 23
iamsotorious
Aspirant

Just boughta new cat 6 cable same thing sitting @ 600mpbs

Message 11 of 23
iamsotorious
Aspirant

should i just return this junker? Is anyone here with an XR700 actually hitting near gigabit speeds?

Message 12 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try this if you have two PCs and a Gb switch handy by chance:

https://www.duckware.com/tech/router-wan-to-lan-throughput-test.html

This would tell you if the XR700 is actually giving 900Mb speeds or not. If you can test this, let us know what the results are. 

I use this to test routers WAN speed capabilities. 

@iamsotorious wrote:

should i just return this junker? Is anyone here with an XR700 actually hitting near gigabit speeds?

Message 13 of 23
iamsotorious
Aspirant

I dont have an extra switch lying around. i think im going ot just return this router and purchase a cheaper one so i cant achieve what i would like i would be more content with settling with lower mbps on a cheaper router if anything vs just spending 500 and only reaching 500mpbs.

Unless you guys have more additional things for me to try.

Message 14 of 23
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Two things to check:

Is your modem in bridge mode or modem mode when you're running these tests?

Have you fully disabled QoS? (In Anti-Bufferbloat advanced options)

If you've done both of these and you're not hitting GB speeds then I'm not sure what else the cause is, the XR700 can comfortably hit GB speeds ordinarlily so it's hard to know what else is preventing it from doing so here.

Message 15 of 23
iamsotorious
Aspirant

Arris sb8200 I don’t believe it’s in bridge mode but on that how do I check that setting I believe I googled it but never got a solid answer from it.

On the qos I disabled it from that section in the anti section what exact setting name am I looking for just Incase I am not doing it right.
Message 16 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

The SB8200 is a modem only, no built in router so no support for bridging. 

Message 17 of 23
iamsotorious
Aspirant

What is the Goodput should i uncheck that, Ive had Disable QOS checked

Message 18 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this on the XR router? Try both settings. 

Message 19 of 23
iamsotorious
Aspirant

Yes this is on the XR Router, both settings meaning, check goodput on and then off?

Also for every setting changed no matter what is it best to reset the router?

Message 20 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, I would factory reset and setup from scratch. Power OFF the ISP modem as well during this process. Walk thru the setup wizard. see if the wizard auto detects the speed correctly, if not, go in and manually set it, then run a speed test before and after making changes. 

Message 21 of 23
iamsotorious
Aspirant

Someone already suggested that in this thread i did that. At the beginning of the reset i as only getting 34mpbs and i restarted and got low 500s. After that i loaded my old settings back in.

Message 22 of 23
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

If you're getting half speeds after factory reset, then it will be someting to do with the modem passing the connection onto the XR700.

Please try toggling the modem between modem mode (or bridge mode) and off again. Speedtest on each setting through the XR700 and see if there is a difference.

Message 23 of 23
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7