Nighthawk gaming router wifi connection issues. Will connect to phones and laptops but not others.

scribz23
Guide

Nighthawk gaming router wifi connection issues. Will connect to phones and laptops but not others.

Set my router up and it is working fine through ethernet connections to my desktop and wirelessly to phones and laptops but it will not connect wirelessly to desktop computers, xbox, or roku at this point in time.

Message 1 of 25

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Nighthawk gaming router wifi connection issues. Will connect to phones and laptops but not other

On the wireless setup page disable SSID broadcast for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Then also on the Advanced WiFi settings page disable Wireless Router radio.

View solution in original post

Message 23 of 25

All Replies
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Re: Nighthawk gaming router wifi connection issues. Will connect to phones and laptops but not other

Make sure that you didn't set static IP addresses on those devices

Message 2 of 25
plemans
Guru

Which nighthawk gaming router? 

Model?

Firmware on it?

Are you using smart connect, DFS channels, 160hz spectrum?

I've read of roku and xbox not working well with DFS. Not even sure if you're router supports it since you didn't list it, but if you have the option of 160hz or DFS channels, turn it off. Try to stick with 1-6-11 channels for 2.4ghz and for 5ghz: 36-48hz or 149-165hz. 

You can go to netgear.com/support/    type in your model number and it'll have manuals, installation guides, firmware.  

CM2000-> RAXE500-> GS716v2-> WAX218-> EX8000
Message 3 of 25
scribz23
Guide

would that be on the actual xbox and roku?

Message 4 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No that would be on the router itself. I would suggest disabling smart connect first as it doesn't seem to play nice with all devices, if it doesn't work you'll need it disabled anyway to do the channel suggestions from above.
Message 5 of 25
scribz23
Guide

Sorry it asked for model number and I put it in the field but it doesnt show? it is the nightHawk model XR500. 

Firmware Version

V2.3.2.40

Not on a DFS Channel... should it be? 

I do not see an option anywhere for 160hz spectrum

Smart Connect is off

enable 20/40mz coexist is off

the 2.4 wireless is set on channel 6 up to 800mbps

the 5.0 wireless is set on channel 153 up to 1733mbps

Message 6 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No don't choose DFS channel. 160Hz is located in Advanced Settings in Advanced WiFi settings and make sure that is off. I would put 20/40 coexist on personally. Can the devices not connect to either 2.4 or 5GHz?
Message 7 of 25
scribz23
Guide

Not on a DFS channel 

renabled the 20/40 coexist

no it cant connect to either the 2.5 or the 5

and is the 160 the "enable HT 160" ... if it is not i cannot seem to find it

Message 8 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes thats the option. Setup a guest WiFi network and see if they will connect to that please.
Message 9 of 25
scribz23
Guide

setting up a guest wifi allowed me to connect my xbox to it. why is this? and is there a way to make the non-guest wifi work?

Message 10 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It could be QoS causing it but unlikely, could you disable QoS completely from the Anti-Bufferbloat menu please and see if you can then connect to normal wifi.
Message 11 of 25
scribz23
Guide

That does not work

Message 12 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's very strange as an Xbox is a basic device and should always be able to connect. Does it connect properly when using an ethernet cable?
Message 13 of 25
scribz23
Guide

yes ethernet works fine on it

Message 14 of 25
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Does the Xbox actually see the network? Does it appear on the list of nearby networks?

Message 15 of 25
scribz23
Guide

Yes, right now it shows all 4 the standard and guest 2.4 and the standard and guest 5.0

Message 16 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is the actual message it shows when it fails to connect to the WiFi?
Message 17 of 25
scribz23
Guide

"Can't Connect. check your network name and password and try again"

Message 18 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

When you're trying to connect to the WiFi are you going through quick WiFi setup where it just tries to connect automatically or are you manually inputting the password every time? Also do you have quite a long WiFi password?
Message 19 of 25
scribz23
Guide

Trying to manually put in the password everytime. and know the password is 9 characters long

Message 20 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you disable the router WiFi completely and apply, then reboot the router and enable WiFi and setup with a new password then apply and see if it works then please. Smart Connect off when re-applied.
Message 21 of 25
scribz23
Guide

how do you completely disable the wireless? I do not see an option for that.

Message 22 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

On the wireless setup page disable SSID broadcast for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Then also on the Advanced WiFi settings page disable Wireless Router radio.

View solution in original post

Message 23 of 25
scribz23
Guide

That worked!! I also redisabled the guest wifi and changed the password back to the original after testing to see if it worked and it still does. Confusing to me but it works now and thats what matters. Thank you very much for you help!!

Message 24 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Fantastic to hear that, you're very welcome!
Message 25 of 25
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements