× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk wireless router

bcj020
Tutor

Nighthawk wireless router

IT PEOPLE, NEED HELP!!!! I have a Nighthawk wireless router that I am having issues connecting to with Ring doorbell, Nest learning thermostat and Blink camera system. Everything else is connecting w/o issues (Amazon FireStick TV’s, Amazon echos, phones, computers, Xbox etc). When I plug my old router in (also Netgear)...NO ISSUES! I am completely baffled as to why only HALF of my stuff is connecting and the other stuff is having issues.
Had Blink tell me that there was too much bandwidth use on the router and to remove all my devices. I did this (just out to prove a point) and it still didn’t work. I have Netgear trying to offer me their “gearhead” Services for $90 for 6 months of assistance. They also told me there wasn’t an issue with their product and that I needed to “update” my wireless connections.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Nighthawk wireless router

Sorry to hear you're having the issue, is it the XR500 router this is happening on? Either way disable smart connect in WiFi settings and try connecting manually to 2.4 or 5GHz.
Message 2 of 9
bcj020
Tutor

I have already tried that. Still doesn’t work.
Message 3 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What router model are you using? Disable QoS completely as it may be interfering. Also you say issues connecting to the WiFi - could you clarify? Does it connect but there is not internet access? Does it fail to even join the network?
Message 4 of 9
bcj020
Tutor

I am using the XR500 Pro Gaming router. The router lights show that the 2.4GHz, 5GHz power and internet are all running as if they should be. I am having no issues connecting to the internet via phone, computer, Amazon Alexa, XBox One but when I try to connect my Ring video doorbell, Blink camera system or Nest products (smart thermostat and Nest protect) it is having issues establishing an internet connection and keeps telling me there was a problem with the internet. If I connect these devices to my old router (also Netgear) or via mobile hotspot, they connect right away. I’ve never had this issue happen to me before and I am literally at a loss. I have tried everything that I can think of to include factory resetting the router.
Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you using the same SSID name and PW as your prior router? You can. 

Try disabling Smart Connect on the XR router.

Message 6 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did you try with QoS disabled from the Anti-Bufferbloat menu? Try creating a guest wifi network and connecting them to that and see if it works.
Message 7 of 9
bcj020
Tutor

Different SSID and password. I’ve already disabled the SmartConnect, still having the issues.
Message 8 of 9
bcj020
Tutor

I will try this...have not tried it yet.
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7