× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk xr700, DumaOS not loaded yet

walhus
Aspirant

It always fails with a frowning square face right after the "New Firmware Detected" screen. Right now current version V1.0.0.20 and it shows New Version V1.0.1.38 and I've tried choosing both options UPDATE and SKIP and the next screen is always the frowning square face. The url on this screen is routerlogin.net/BRS_index.htm
Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 26 of 48
walhus
Aspirant

On the frowning squareface screen if you hover over it, it says:

www.netgear.com refused to connect 

Then when you hit NEXT

it says, sadly

DumaOS not loaded yet!

Don't worry we will redirect you soon

And then nothing happens and no other options are offered

Message 27 of 48
walhus
Aspirant

DumaOS won't install on my XR700 yet it still gives me an ethernet connection with no wifi and a skeleton interface that let's me install images.

I have tried every single image to restore my XR700.

I have tried the tfrp method

I have tried 30-30-30 resetting it

I have tried purchasing gearhead support

I have escalated to Netscape Level 3 support (THEY WON'T REPLY)

I have tried EVERYTHING I've read in these forums.

I'm up against a brick wall here.

I need an out of the box solution

Any ideas?

(The attachment is the frowning square face screenshot I get right after I get my configuration complete during the install process and it goes downhill from here)

Message 28 of 48
walhus
Aspirant

I wonder if "Moontoast" here in this forum ever got back on track?  I've gone through a very similar experience.  This is EXTREMELY frustrating.  I expect more from Netgear.  I bought a gearhead support package but Netgear Level 3 has stonewalled me.  I've been waiting for a week  but not one word from them except that Level 2 support says they don't give out timeframes.

Message 29 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you accessing it via that link after every reset? If so just go to the usual URL/access using 192.168.1.1 and go through the wizard. If that doesn't work then judging by what you have done and given TFTP is usually a last resort I would say the router appears to be faulty.
Message 30 of 48
walhus
Aspirant

When I enter the router address, in this case 10.0.0.1

it still says

DumaOS not loaded yet!

Don't worry we will redirect you shortly.

Message 31 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I think it's faulty in that case unfortunately, you could attempt to follow this to get it working https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

I have not tried it and so I cannot guarantee the results. In my opinion the router is faulty and beyond recoverable by anything you've done or anything else I could suggest so nothing to lose by trying.
Message 32 of 48
walhus
Aspirant

It took about an hour of starts and stops but I finally excuted nmrpflash and here's what happened in my shell cmd window on Windows 10:

Waiting for Ethernet connection.
Advertising NMRP server on net10 ... -
Received configuration request from 3c:37:86:0a:78:79.
Sending configuration: 10.164.183.252/24.
Received upload request: filename 'firmware'.
Uploading XR700-V1.0.0.20.img ... Warning: TFTP block rollover. Upload might fail!
OK (41138305 b)
Waiting for remote to respond.
Remote finished. Closing connection.
Reboot your device now.
Press any key to exit

So I rebooted and reinstalled using routerlogin.net//adv_index.htm and it came up with the same error.  So I'm back to square one.  I take it I am out of options now. 

Strange since the router actually works for ethernet connections it just won't run DumaOS and won't run wifi.  And it seems like everyone is out of stock on XR700s, what is the advantage of getting an XR1000 to replace the XR700.  The obvious disadvantage is that the XR700 has 6 ethernet ports and the XR1000 has 4 ports. The XR1000 is smaller and doesn't have port aggregation which I had planned to use.

Or should I  be looking at another router option altogether?  I got the XR700 because it supports Unreal Engine for video conferencing and simulations..  I'm not a gamer although nothing against gaming.  

Message 33 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You didn't need to reinstall the firmware via routerlogin, in fact it was better not to, the flash upgraded the firmware for you. What do you mean it supports Unreal Engine exactly? The 1000 is a good choice or the 500 which is a solid router and has been out the longest.
Message 34 of 48
Breaka
Aspirant

Excellent! This worked perfectly.
Thank you for the write up!
Message 35 of 48
Alcaus
Tutor

@user12a @Netduma-Fraser I tried your step-by-step solution but for some reason once I enter the command

[ -n "ngmtd" ] && flash_erase /dev/"$ngmtd" 0 0

I don't receive a message stating that anything is being erased... all I receive is a return?

>

>

>

>

I'm assuming the command didn't work?

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I've lost my 2.4 & 5 bands and can only connect via ethernet on my xr700

This is maddening. Any help is appreciated!

Message 36 of 48
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

I personally haven't tried this solution myself but I'm not sure I'd expect to see an output from that command.

What's the exact issue you're having? Your Wi-Fi networks aren't broadcasting? What troubleshooting have you attempted thus far that led you to trying this method?

Message 37 of 48
Alcaus
Tutor

Currently, my xr700 will not broadcast my 2.4 & 5 bands.

In the netgear app, the router cannot be found at all. I've tried hard resetting the router, unplugging completely overnight, I've turned the broadcasting off in advanced wireless settings/reboot/turn on/reboot, I've attempted the telnet method, and I've tried forcing a firmware update via tftp. The tftp method wouldn't connect properly.

I've tried troubleshooting my firewall settings in order to attempt the telnet method again, but now that's not even working.

I'm at loss at this point. The "DumaOS not loaded yet!" message still appears after resetting the router and updating firmware. I've cleared my cache & cookies, tried rebooting and waiting a few minutes.

Not sure what to try next.

Thank you for the quick response!

Message 38 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Downgrade a few versions, then factory reset from routerlogin.net/adv_index.htm and see if it broadcasts then
Message 39 of 48
Alcaus
Tutor

Will do. I've downgraded to 1.0.0.2 & 1.0.1.2 so far. Should I just start at the oldest and work my way up?

Should the 2.4 & 5 bands be lit up/flashing during setup? Currently, the 60 band is a solid light but not a blink from the others.

Message 40 of 48
Alcaus
Tutor

Just tried 1.0.1.8 and received a message "The CGI program generated an invalid response".

Checking the firmware shows that the current version is 1.0.1.8, so I'm not sure if this is useful or not but I've included the response below. Will begin factory reset.

Message 41 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes they should flash during setup. Where did you see the error in the Browser dev tools?
Message 42 of 48
Alcaus
Tutor

The error occurred on the router admin page. After uploading the firmware, the response populated the window automatically. I didn't leave the Administration tab.

Message 43 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If not seen that before, is it fine accessing the normal interface? Did the factory reset work?
Message 44 of 48
Alcaus
Tutor

Nope, the factory reset doesn't appear to have solved the issue.

I can successfully turn the 60Ghz band on/off, as the corresponding LED goes out when turned off.

Still nothing on the 2.4 & 5 bands. I will try another firmware version.

Message 45 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I think it would be best to make a direct ticket with Netgear and see if they have any further suggestions
Message 46 of 48
user12a
Star

From my experience, it is the corrupted NVRAM that caused the DumaOS not loaded yet issue.  Usually it happens when one upgrades to a new bin.  Only resetting the NVRAM by erasing it can fix it.  None of the unit resets did anything.  For the xr700, you just need the latest bin 1.0.1.20 that still has telnet enabled.  Not any of the earlier one.   If you cannot get back into telnet, you are hosed.  Tftp never worked for me.  I hope if the new Duma3 ever comes out, it will have the option to enable telnet, otherwise when issues come up, one is helpless to debug.

You can check your disk file structure (df -k) to find that the overlay volume is corrupted, at 100% capacity.  You can check your wireless status by iwconfig.  When you issue the erase command, it will come back to tell erasing progress until 100% is done.  If you don’t see it, something has gone wrong.  Try again.  Attached image in the earlier message 22 of this thread showed what exactly was done a year ago to fix it.  Good luck, cannot help you any further than what was said before.

Message 47 of 48
Alcaus
Tutor

Went back and retried your method.

Worked perfectly. DumaOS and WiFi working fine now.

Thank you again.

Message 48 of 48
Discussion stats
  • 47 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7