× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk xr700 not connecting to all devices

Vegas8889
Aspirant

Nighthawk xr700 not connecting to all devices

Earlier today, I had power go out on the router for about 3 minutes. When it kicked back on, it was connecting to probably about half the devices in the home and was providing internet. The other items said they were connected but with no internet connection. I tried power cycling the router and that seems to have the same issue. Connecting to some but not others— but it’s different devices now than before, so it’s almost as if it’s randomized? I don’t know what to do to fix it? I’m really trying to avoid having to fully reset it. Hellppp!

Side note- This happened once a few months ago but it was late, so I just went to bed, and when I woke up, everything was fine again.
Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

On one of the devices you're seeing the issue on 'forget' the WiFi and then try reconnecting by reinputting the WiFi password. Does it get a connection properly then?
Message 2 of 8
Vegas8889
Aspirant

I’ve tried that. It doesn’t work
Message 3 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Upgrade to this firmware and see if it works then: https://kb.netgear.com/000061714/XR700-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-24-Hot-Fix
Message 4 of 8
Vegas8889
Aspirant

Hello,

Sorry, I never saw this message pop up from a few months ago, and the devices all randomly connected over night so I just wrote it off.

However, last night it had me update to v1.0.1.34 and it’s doing it again— except this time nothing reconnected over night. Any new recommendations?
Message 5 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You could try installing the firmware again via TFTP and then doing a factory reset, that would make it the freshest install possible and may help: https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Message 6 of 8

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
You could try installing the firmware again via TFTP and then doing a factory reset, that would make it the freshest install possible and may help: https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

That's kind of just a waste of the poor user's time at this point.  Vegas, there are multiple threads going back into 2019 about the DHCP service on these routers becoming completely useless.  From my experience each upgrade seems to make the DHCP app less and less stable, until we are where we are now.  Most of the other users on the forums have either switched off the DHCP services and added their own server, or completely swapped wireless routers until a solution can be provided.  I don't mean to be all doom and gloom here, but so far support has been pretty dismal.

If flashing your router does resolve your issue consider yourself very lucky.  May the Force be with you.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 7 of 8
Vegas8889
Aspirant

Thank you. You’re right in that nothing that has been recommended to me has worked. For now, I just factory reset the router and redid everything. It was the opposite of what I wanted to do, but it has worked for now
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7