× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No Access Control on XR1000

ATOMINSF
Tutor

No Access Control on XR1000

The R7000 had something call Access Control.  The XR1000 does not.  If someone were to get access to a ethernet cable they will be able to access your network.  Example, you have an IP security camera hooked up outside your house, anyone could have access to your network.  The R7000 Access Control had a button that blocked any new device from getting onto the network wired or wireless.  The XR1000 uses an outside computer for the OS and it doesn't have this feature.

DUMAS OS has a block feature.  Once a device gets in, you can block it, but it doesn't stop that device from getting back in.  I have had the same device on my network, after blocking it 5 times.  The other 5 times still shows blocked while the device is still working on a 6th connection.  I did a factory reset, but when it happens again, I will post a photo.

Message 1 of 5

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Nighthawk Pro Gaming Routers - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 5
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

There's also Netdumas forum.

https://forum.netduma.com/forum/87-dumaos-on-netgear-nighthawk-support/

some parts of Duma are NG based so Fraser will be able to let you know what's what.

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

It's not a Netduma feature...much more a Netgear controlled thing.

In fact, Netgear has to different designs of "Access Control":

• The classic Access Control handling the network access overall (like the R7000 or R9000) allowing to block all except listed ones, and
  • The "new" Access Control to allow Internet access or not, while retaining the LAN access (like RAX50 or it's XR1000 sibling) 

Both became utterly useless (along with any other MAC based "security" stuff like Circle) with the introduction of the tin-hat random MAC address feature (masssivley hyped by the Apple community earlier this year, but existing much longer since Android 9, and on Windows 10) - which has become the default for new connection set-up on most OS. 

Message 4 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7