× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No Access Control on XR1000

ATOMINSF
Tutor

No Access Control on XR1000

The R7000 had something call Access Control.  Access Control allows you to block all new devices, unless turned off.  The XR1000 does not.  If someone were to get access to a ethernet cable they will be able to access your network.  Example, you have an IP security camera hooked up outside your house, anyone could have access to your network.  The R7000 Access Control had a button that blocked any new device from getting onto the network wired or wireless.  The XR1000 uses an outside company for the OS and it doesn't have this feature.

DUMAS OS has a block feature.  Once a device gets in, you can block it, but it doesn't stop that device from getting back in.  I have had the same device on my network, after blocking it 5 times.  There were 5 icons of the same device which showed blocked while the device is still shows an active connection on a 6th connection.  I am guessing that if a devices IP is changed, DUMAS thinks it's a new and different device, so simply unplugging and plugging in again a ethernet cable could do this.  I did a factory reset, when it happens again, I will post a screenshot.

I have spoken to Customer Care but the XR1000 is too new for them.

Message 1 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: No Access Control on XR1000

Access Control was a Netgear feature and so nothing to do with DumaOS specifically so this is something they would have to add back in. It is something we could look into implementing a version of ourselves, I'll add it to our roadmap. The device you're seeing is most likely a device on your network. If you apply reserved IPs to all your known devices and then delete the unknown ones I think they'd stop appearing.
Message 2 of 6
Stryter
Initiate

I just upgraded from the WNDR3700v4 to the XR1000 and the Access Control feature from the 3700 is sorely missed. I don't think I can overstate how much I would like to see this feature added (back) to the OS on the XR1000.

The only workaround I have found which mimics the Access Control feature is to define a Traffic Controller rule which rejects all devices with a higher priority rule that allows the specific devices I want. But this is not a sufficient way to accomplish Access Control as I can't easily see what is being blocked when a new device is connected to the WiFi or LAN. All I see is a message like: 

Reject All12/7/2020, 5:34:06 PMrejected a device for all traffic

Having the ability to quickly see the devices that have been blocked (with their MAC address) and make the choice to allow those devices is a much desired feature.

Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

This would be for Netgear to reimplement and I have passed this on. I will add your suggestions for Traffic Control to our roadmap as those are good improvements and could be a viable workaround while Access Control is not available.
Message 4 of 6
That_GamerYT
Apprentice

If there's a setting for it, disable DHCP and manually assign an IP to every device currently connected and make the subnet mask or ip range, whatever it's called, is limited to the amount of devices you have (For example, for 3 devices, 192.168.1.1 for the router, 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.4 for the 3 devices) and now any new device (Ethernet or WiFi) can't get an IP unless you extend the range and assign it an IP (Idk hopefully that works). If DUMA OS is thinking the device is a new device, it could be MAC spoofing from the device (Usually a PC or laptop). Also watch out for sneaky iOS 14 people as they have a new WiFi feature called "Private address" whcich uses a random fake MAC address seperate from their real MAC address so technically they get 2 MAC addresses. They get only the same 2 (Real MAC address and fake MAC address) MAC addresses based on WiFi so you only have to block 2 MACs and they don't have unlimited MACs. Even if they forget and reconnect to your WiFi, their fake MAC address will still be the same so no worries there.

Message 5 of 6

Yo that's actually a sick idea, but that's whitelist access control. Blacklist access control isn't as useful though as someone can just factory reset their iPhone network settings and get a new MAC address/use random MAC/hardware address on Android/Windows.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7