× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No Internet/Weird Solution Any idea Why?

UnchartedHammeR
Aspirant

No Internet/Weird Solution Any idea Why?

Okay so I have this strange issue with my FIOS recently.

So My initial setup which worked perfectly fine for the last 2 years just stopped. Here is what i had.

ONT -> Cat5e -> XR500 GR -> Main PC/Netgear 5port Switch -> Other PC's

So all of a sudden all the Ethernet ports on my XR500 would not function at all. Connected PC's would throw a error Unidentified Network and would endlessly try to connect. The Wi-Fi worked just fine. I was stumped. I reset router, tried renew and flushing ip address no dice.

So I connected my ONT directly to my main pc and boom internet... okay so I plug it back into the XR500 nada. I also try another router I had a Linksys WRT610N and It would not get connectivity either through the Ethernet ports. I was little miffed. I alos could not coonect to the routers dashboard without access to the internet.

Okay so after intense googling which was totally useless I decided to try something else. this is what I did.

ONT -> Cat5e -> Netgear 5port Switch -> XR500 GR -> PC's

And Boom the connected PC's got internet back. Annoyed and confused that is what I am running now.

The question is does anyone have any idea why going from the ONT to a switch then to router spontaneously fixed my issue?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Re: No Internet/Weird Solution Any idea Why?

I would say this was some kind of incompatibility with your ONT and the XR500 but you said it's been working for two years. What could possibly have changed recently? Did you recently update to the latest firmware? Did you recently perform a factory reset?

Message 2 of 4
UnchartedHammeR
Aspirant

I just updated the firmware after I got my internet back.Thinking it may have been a compatibilty issue. When it sstoppped working it was the second most recent Firmware.

I also reset the ONT that did nothing. When I swapped the FIOS Quantam Router to the XR500 I cloned the MAC Address becuase I read somewwhere that verizon sometimes dosent like not seeing there devices. I wonder if that may have been it. But since I could not get to the NetDuma Dashboard I could not test that. 

Message 3 of 4
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Has the XR500 got a static IP or anything like that? Any unusual settings that could be throwing things off?

I don't think that MAC address cloning could be necessary.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7