× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No Internet on LAN Ports WiFi fully connectivity

navigent2
Guide

No Internet on LAN Ports WiFi fully connectivity

I have full connectivity via Wif; however, I cannot connect to anything via the LAN.  If I turn off wifi on either of my macbooks, I am not able to access the internet at all.  My synology backup along with my canon 8350cdn printer are not accessible.  It has worked previously; however, I am completely baffled as to what changed.

Internet LED is blinking versus solid.

Firmware version XR500 V2.3.2.40

Xfinity router connected to XR500

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 25

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay that's very strange it happened then, let us know if it happens again after a reset.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 25

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Swap LAN cables? 

is the LAN port LEDs blinking at all with a device conntecte? 

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch...do the LAN ports come alive after that? 

Try a FW downgrade to v32...

Message 2 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you have any consoles connected running in instant on/standby modes at all? If so disable those features and then reboot the router, does that resolve the issue?
Message 3 of 25
navigent2
Guide

No devices in stand by.

Message 4 of 25
navigent2
Guide

LAN cables are new and LEDs are blinking as if there is activity.  I will try the factory reset and set it up again.

Message 5 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay that's very strange it happened then, let us know if it happens again after a reset.
Message 7 of 25
navigent2
Guide

Reset worked.  Very odd.

Message 8 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad the reset worked. Let us know if that happens again. If it does, the unit may need to be RMA. LAN ports should not fail. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 25
navigent2
Guide

Unfortunately, the fix is short lived.  I disconnected my laptop and reconnected with no LAN connectivity.  It appears that if I disconnect or device goes into sleep mode, it breaks.  This router worked after initial setup for a few months.  I did nothing to change anything.  Not sure what else to do at this point.  My opinion of Netgear is very low at this point.

Message 10 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Try the hotfix available here and hopefully that will resolve it: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/28523-new-xr500-hotfix-firmware-for-drop-outs/
Message 11 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like a possible faulty unit. I would ask NG for an RMA.

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

@navigent2 wrote:

Unfortunately, the fix is short lived.  I disconnected my laptop and reconnected with no LAN connectivity.  It appears that if I disconnect or device goes into sleep mode, it breaks.  This router worked after initial setup for a few months.  I did nothing to change anything.  Not sure what else to do at this point.  My opinion of Netgear is very low at this point.

Message 12 of 25
PieCaptain
Guide

this is the same issue i get once a day (sometimes i get longer)

same as a few other threads in the forums. 😞

Message 13 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Pie, have you tried the hotfix firmware or any of the workarounds you've seen? E.g. disabling instant on/standby mode on the console or using a switch.
Message 14 of 25
PieCaptain
Guide

Hi!
Firmware applied today so will see how that goes.

The switch doesn't seem to make a difference. Devices plugged into the switch can still communicate with each other, sometimes I can communicate with them from a device connected to the xr500, but this is rare. But they always lose internet access.
Message 15 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yeah I know, for some reason having the switch there usually prevents the issue, probably because the switch is always active and handles the WOL better than the router at the moment. Let us know how the firmware goes.
Message 16 of 25
PieCaptain
Guide

It is very strange.

I've had it happen during a teamviewer session before.

I have my laptop connected via ethernet to the XR500 and all of a sudden it switches over to WiFi (luckily it happens so quickly the connection doesn't seem to be affected)

Message 17 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay thanks for the info. Let us know if the hotfix works!
Message 18 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi
Having the same problem here even with the hotfix.
Message 19 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

I would returne the unit and get another or ask NG support for a RMA. 

Message 20 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you tried the alternate options mentioned on the community such as using a switch?
Message 21 of 25
PieCaptain
Guide

quick update. I've been running the hotfix for a few weeks now (since my last comment) and I still have to reboot daily. Running through another switch doesn't make a difference, my devices running through my switch also lose connectivity The one thing I haven't tried yet is resetting, but I need to do that when I remember at a convenient time, not when I'm driving to work!
Message 22 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if a factory reset and setup from scratch results in something different.

@PieCaptain wrote:
quick update. I've been running the hotfix for a few weeks now (since my last comment) and I still have to reboot daily. Running through another switch doesn't make a difference, my devices running through my switch also lose connectivity The one thing I haven't tried yet is resetting, but I need to do that when I remember at a convenient time, not when I'm driving to work!

Message 23 of 25
PieCaptain
Guide

another update!

I've not had a chance to do the factory default settings yet, HOWEVER, i haven't had to reset the router for 6 days!

I noticed  V2.3.2.56 is now available, but he patch notes suggest it doesn't address this issue, so i am reluctant to upgrade to this version just yet

Message 24 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's great to hear! Yes probably best to keep it on the version you're on at the moment and if it happens again then update to see if that helps.
Message 25 of 25
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7