× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No ethernet connection on XR500 after upgrading from N600

drake8602
Star

No ethernet connection on XR500 after upgrading from N600

So yesterday I decided to upgrade my router to the XR500. I originally had the following setup: 

Arris Modem (Spectrum)>>N600>>Netduma R1   This setup worked flawless for me for a couple years. 

I pulled out the N600/Netduma setup and installed the XR500. I went through the setup wizard and everything seemed to go through just fine. After install, all my wireless clients are working great. When I plugged a laptop/desktop/PS4 into the hardwired ethernet ports, none of them would grab an address. I tried statically setting an IP to the desktop, that didn't work. It just states "Unidentified Network" "No Internet Connection". I did the routine "unplug the modem and router for a few minutes and boot back up in order", which didn't help. Confirmed that I was running the updated firmware on the XR500. I called Spectrum, they were unable to find an issue on the modem. We bypassed the XR500 and plugged the modem directly to my PC, which still didn't work. So the Spectrum support person said it must be an issue on their side and set an appointment for this evening. 

While I was waiting for the appointment today, I put the N600 back in place of the XR500 and after rebooting the modem it works flawlessly. When I put the XR500 back, same symptoms as before. Wifi works fine, but no ethernet. After reading on here, there were a few folks that said it could be the way the Arris modem handles bridge mode. So I called Spectrum back and we did a factory reset of the modem, and they confirmed that the modem was seeing the new MAC address of the XR500. Same issue, at that point they said we should just wait for the technician to come out this evening. When I got up this morning, I fired up the PC/PS4 and both are working connected to the XR500 via hard wired ethernet with no issues whatsoever. I used each for about an hour before I had to leave for work. 

I'm at a loss. Not sure whether to cancel the appointment with Spectrum or if this is going to be a continuous issue where Ethernet is going to drop. I work from home a few days a week, so stable ethernet connection is a must. I appreciate any feedback. 

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Try a factory reset on the XR router and set up from scratch. Walk thru the setup wizard. 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

Message 2 of 7
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

If the technician appointment is free then no harm in cancelling it - they will be able to give the modem a thorough check.

As for the ports not working - it sounds like everything might have needed a reboot, but I'm not sure. I should think now it's connected it will be ok. Were you using different ports each time on the XR500? It's possible you had one dodgy port, but if all were not working then it's probably somewhere else.

Thank you by the way for sticking with the Netduma software! Always cool to see R1 users upgrading to Nighthawk's with DumaOS

Message 3 of 7
drake8602
Star

Sorry in the delay getting back to this. I disconnected all the ethernet connection to the XR500 and when back through the setup wizard. After complete, I started connecting each device one at a time. I narrowed down the issue as happening when I plugin my 8 port Netgear switch. Not sure if I have something connected to the switch that is causing an IP conflict or what, but that is when my connection drops. I need to connect the switch with nothing connected to it, and go through each connection one at a time, but for now my XR500 is working like a charm! I appreciate all the feedback! 

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model of the NG swtich? Managed or non managed? Non managed is preferred. 

Message 5 of 7
drake8602
Star

It is unmanaged: TL-SG108

And after double checking I stand corrected, this is a TP-Link switch not a Netgear.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

IF this this one:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-42_TL-SG108.html

Probably Green Ethernet technology saves the power up to 82%
or Support 802.1p/DSCP QoS1 and IGMP Snooping function 

maybe the cause when this switch is used. Seen this before with this Green Ethernet feature. 

If you need switches, I recommend NG GS non managed series or D-Links DGS-105/108 series. 

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7