× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No smart connect or mu-mimo options

jjw001
Tutor

No smart connect or mu-mimo options

Heads up folks.  The brand new XR300 does not have a 'smart connect' option for the wireless settings or the abilty to enable or disable mu-mino.  If these features are important to you don't buy this product.   It is a giant step backward.

Model: XR300|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I believe you are violating your NDA with Netgear by divulging any knowledge you may or may not have about the router given it has not been released yet.

Also given the price point it is a cheaper way to experience DumaOS on a Nighthawk, it is not going to compare hardware wise to the more expensive 450/500/700 as is already shown in comparisons on Amazon for example.
Message 2 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Again, I'm completely confused @ChristineT  @Christian_R ... it's a mess!

On one hand, the How do I specify the basic WiFi settings on my Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router? - applicable to all Nighthawk Pro Gaming Routers XR300, XR450, XR500, and XR700 - does clearly show Smart Connect option.

On the other hand What is Smart Connect and how do I enable or disable it on my NETGEAR router? does only show the XR700 from this model line (again, we know this is wrong, the XR500 (and I guess the similar XR450) does have it, too.

It's clear the Smart Connect must be mandatory on these modern routers.

Message 3 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
I believe you are violating your NDA with Netgear by divulging any knowledge you may or may not have about the router given it has not been released yet.

I believe you are wrong: NETGEAR INTRODUCES NEW NIGHTHAWK PRO GAMING ROUTER OPTIMIZED TO MINIMIZE LAG FOR GAMERS (14 March 20... [no shouting intended, this is the original press release title]

The information ref. the XR300 is published, the product is readily available from Amazon.com in the Americas, in the European retail and etailer market, e.g. digitec.ch here in Switzerland. 

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Also given the price point it is a cheaper way to experience DumaOS on a Nighthawk, it is not going to compare hardware wise to the more expensive 450/500/700 as is already shown in comparisons on Amazon for example.

All the Netgear platforms used for the XR700 (R9000), XR500/450 (R7800), and XR300 (R7000P) do readily support Smart Connect. 

Message 4 of 11
jjw001
Tutor

I am using firmware version 1.0.2.18_10.3.15 and I do not have an option for 'smart connect' on my XR300 wireless setup screen.  I chatted with tech support and they confirmed that it is not available.

Message 5 of 11
jjw001
Tutor

The product is released and I purchased it a few days ago. 

Message 6 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Even for Beta testers, the NDA is becoming obsolete [ref. production hardware and firmware, not the proceedings during Beta] once a product is on the market.

Message 7 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Apologies jjw did not realise that it had already started shipping considering the website still says coming soon. Must be one of the very first to have purchased it!
Message 8 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@Netduma-Fraser this "coming soon"  seems to be U.K. market (and Web site) specific...

Message 9 of 11
jjw001
Tutor

I am returning the router.

Message 10 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that, I'll pass your comments on to the Netgear team.
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7