× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OoS keeps crashing!

Rick6922
Luminary

OoS keeps crashing!

here in the last couple of weeks I've got anouther problem with the xr700,  the QoS keeps crashing.  when it does it not only isnt working but it puts my upload and download speed to 1000 up and down [ I've got 430,26] . if you look at the system logs its pretty much not showing anything the router is doing but repeats-  QoS appplcation exception: bad argument #1 to match... and  netduma software QoS settings, to many files open?  I've got a NG cm1000 modem,  running new FW on the router. running 3 laptops and 1 xbox thats got net work traffic prio. set up on and one cell phone.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this, power OFF the ISP modem. Factory reset the XR router. While the XR router is resetting, power ON the CM modem. 

With a wired PC connected to the XR router, walk thru the setup wizard. Ensure ALL other devices are turned OFF or disconnected from the router. Check to see if the wizards speed test results return accurate results. If good, continue to complete the setup wizard...

Message 2 of 66
Rick6922
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try this, power OFF the ISP modem. Factory reset the XR router. While the XR router is resetting, power ON the CM modem. 

With a wired PC connected to the XR router, walk thru the setup wizard. Ensure ALL other devices are turned OFF or disconnected from the router. Check to see if the wizards speed test results return accurate results. If good, continue to complete the setup wizard...     all I have to do is reboot the router and then the saved QoS settings come back with the right speed. I shouldnt have to do that though!  

Message 3 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try it. 

Message 4 of 66
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would clear the cache and cookies on your browser as well as its very odd for just this one setting to revert itself.
Message 5 of 66
Rick6922
Luminary

I've already done all that! I've had this router long enough to go through the FW updates that basicly  was very unstable. when you and frazer was telling everyone to go back to old FW. lol  . my point is you guys say that about 99% of problems so I did that from the start. lol it still does that daily, also the Dumos pages are super laggy if they load at all and yes I've cleared every thing on broswer using crome with over 300mb down and 25 up. and yes it happens if Qos is disabled.

Message 6 of 66
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you been able to try the XR700 beta? There are some newer versions there that you may find better. If you’re not on the beta I’ll ask Christian to add you.
Message 7 of 66
Rick6922
Luminary

Ok , but did you read the patch notes on the beta FW?   you think it will fix the problem?  

Message 8 of 66
Rick6922
Luminary

did you get my last message?

Message 9 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try the beta. You can always revert back. 

If you upgrade, load the file and please perform a factory reset and setup from scratch. 

We still know know if you have this or not. 

Message 10 of 66
Rick6922
Luminary

I've got to have the beta to try it.lol

Message 11 of 66
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Just to let you know that you should have been added to the beta today, check your Private Messages please.
Message 12 of 66
ghorman
Aspirant

I have the same issue with QoS.  It reset everything along with the error message.  My question is if I factory reset can I restore the settings from a backup file?

Error:

RPC error 'ERROR_UNKNOWN': bad argument #1 to 'gmatch' (string expected, got nil) -> stack traceback: ?: in function <?:73> [C]: in function 'gmatch' ?: in function 'split' ?: in function <?:137> (tail call): ? ?: in function <?:324> [C]: in function 'xpcall' ?: in function 'try' ?: in function <?:290> [C]: in function 'run' ?: in function <?:345> [C]: in function 'xpcall' ?: in function 'try' ?: in function <?:261> (tail call): ? /dumaos/api/cli.lua:48: in function </dumaos/api/cli.lua:30> [C]: in function 'xpcall' /dumaos/api/cli.lua:59: in main chunk [C]: ?

Message 13 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. Please first try QoS configurations after doing a factory reset and setup from scratch to see if this happens. If not, then load the backup config file. 

@ghorman wrote:

I have the same issue with QoS.  It reset everything along with the error message.  My question is if I factory reset can I restore the settings from a backup file?

Error:

RPC error 'ERROR_UNKNOWN': bad argument #1 to 'gmatch' (string expected, got nil) -> stack traceback: ?: in function <?:73> [C]: in function 'gmatch' ?: in function 'split' ?: in function <?:137> (tail call): ? ?: in function <?:324> [C]: in function 'xpcall' ?: in function 'try' ?: in function <?:290> [C]: in function 'run' ?: in function <?:345> [C]: in function 'xpcall' ?: in function 'try' ?: in function <?:261> (tail call): ? /dumaos/api/cli.lua:48: in function </dumaos/api/cli.lua:30> [C]: in function 'xpcall' /dumaos/api/cli.lua:59: in main chunk [C]: ?

Message 14 of 66
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As above. Was there any specific QoS setting you changed that prompted this error?
Message 15 of 66
ghorman
Aspirant

The factory reset DID NOT work.  I got the error again in less than 24 hours. 

Edited:

I only set the speed rates and location.  Then I did the anti settings to 70% each.  I didn't even do static ips within dhcp or anything else on it.

Message 16 of 66
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Strange that a factory reset didn't work, did all other settings reset? Try accessing using different browsers and see if that helps.
Message 17 of 66
ghorman
Aspirant

No its just the QoS page.  The DHCP keeps all my static settings, wifi is great and geo-filter is fine.  Just not QoS.

Message 18 of 66
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

After a factory reset it kept your static settings? In that case it doesn't sound like it reset it. Click erase in Settings > Administration > Back up settings and see if it works after that.
Message 19 of 66
ghorman
Aspirant

No, I guess you read it wrong or i typed it in wrong.  The factory reset worked and I used it for less than 24 hours and got the error.  The error is only for QoS.  I restored my settings and when I get the error it affects nothing but QoS.

Message 20 of 66
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Very strange. I wonder what would happen if you downgraded back to the first firmware and then back up again? I'm trying to get it to replace as much of QoS as it can during the upgrade.

The first firmware: https://kb.netgear.com/000060213/XR700-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-20

The latest firmware: https://kb.netgear.com/000061118/XR700-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-18-Hot-Fix

Message 21 of 66
ghorman
Aspirant

I will try.  So, last night i was playing destiny 2 just fine with QoS.  Logged off and this morning the error message is back.  Nothing changed over night, I just left it logged in my browser.

I did find this in the logs:

[DumaOS] RPC call 'is_unrestricted' exception 'bad argument #1 to 'gmatch' (string expected, got nil) -> stack traceback: ^I?: ,
[DumaOS] get_cmd_output 'conntrack -L -m 0x800000/0x800000 2> /dev/null' failed conntrack -L -m 0x800000/0x800000 2> /dev/null,
[DumaOS] RPC call 'get_lane_information' exception 'bad argument #1 to 'gmatch' (string expected, got nil) -> stack traceback: ,
[DumaOS] get_cmd_output 'tc -s qdisc show dev brwan' failed tc -s qdisc show dev brwan: Too many open file, Friday, August 30, 2

Message 22 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

How long have you had the router for? 

IF 1st verson of FW does this as well, possible the router itself could be faulty and needs to be RMAd. 

Message 23 of 66
Rick6922
Luminary

I bought it as soon as it came out!

Message 24 of 66
Rick6922
Luminary

mine does the exact same thing as ghorman, its says error and sliders go to 100% , download and upload speeds change to 1000 each and the allowed speed set on devices change, the only way to make any changes at that point is to reboot the router and everything goes back the way I set it up untill it does it again, it can happen in 2 hours or not for 20,  but it happens daily.I've try the factory resets, new beta FW and on and on. the only way to stop it is going back to one of the first FW's that dont have ping assist and added securty.

Message 25 of 66
Discussion stats
  • 65 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7