× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Optimal Cabling for Dual Cable Modem/XR500 Router/ProSafe 16 Port 1GB Switch

smnsdad
Initiate

Optimal Cabling for Dual Cable Modem/XR500 Router/ProSafe 16 Port 1GB Switch

Recently upgraded Comcast service to 1GB. To get 1GB to desktops, I have an XR500 and a 16 port ProSafe 1GB Switch.

New modem has two ports.

My question: What is the optimal usage of the cable modem ports to maximize speed? One or both modem ports cabled to the router? One cabled to the router and one to the switch? One only to the router and one left unused?

I am experimenting between the options and running speed test to compare but wanted to get an expert opinion that took into consideration collisions, hops, etc. that would come into play with each option.

Thanks!

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Optimal Cabling for Dual Cable Modem/XR500 Router/ProSafe 16 Port 1GB Switch

What is the Mfr and model# of the cable modem. 

The XR doesn't support LAG so you can't take advantage of that. 

You can only connect 1 NAT router to the modem. The other port on the modem depends on if it has a assigned IP address from the ISP which would be different from the address on the other WAN port. 

NG CM1100 modem has two ports on the back. This modem supports LAG. However with LAG disabled, one can connect two routers to the back of the CM1100 modem and if the ISP supports this, the modem would pass thru two different WAN IP addresses to each port thus you would have two separate networks after the modem. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Optimal Cabling for Dual Cable Modem/XR500 Router/ProSafe 16 Port 1GB Switch

What is the Mfr and model# of the cable modem. 

The XR doesn't support LAG so you can't take advantage of that. 

You can only connect 1 NAT router to the modem. The other port on the modem depends on if it has a assigned IP address from the ISP which would be different from the address on the other WAN port. 

NG CM1100 modem has two ports on the back. This modem supports LAG. However with LAG disabled, one can connect two routers to the back of the CM1100 modem and if the ISP supports this, the modem would pass thru two different WAN IP addresses to each port thus you would have two separate networks after the modem. 

Message 2 of 4
smnsdad
Initiate

Comcast branded modem, no model listed, probably OEM.

Single IP set up, so you answered my question. No reason to add another cable.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7