× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: PCIe Wireless Adaptor

Brennan73
Aspirant

PCIe Wireless Adaptor

Hi there, I am experiencing random latency spikes when I play online games, specifically Overwatch. I am not able to connect via ethernet and have to use wireless. I have been working with Blizzard support and they believe it's the connection between my XR500 router and desktop computer that's causing the latency spikes.

My HP Omen desktop computer has a Realtek RTL8822BE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter. So, my question is...would a better PCIe wireless adaptor help? I am looking at this one currently: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H9QMOMY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=nerdtechy-20&l...

Do you believe it would work well with the XR500? 

Thank you. 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If the issue is the adapter then yes it would help. Have you done some basic ping tests using command line or PingPlotter for example to see if you see the problem there also?
Message 2 of 6
Brennan73
Aspirant

Thank you for responding. Yes, I have done quite a lot of testing, trial and error, and settings changes. I did run a continuous ping to google.com and when I experienced in game latency it showed a massive spike. Does that mean it's my current wireless adapter?

Also, Blizzard support mentioned this to me after I sent them various test result files:

Going over the system files, I noticed the system uses a wifi adapter to connect online. I also noticed some wifi stability problems as indicated by the following log line:

| 192.168.1.1 - 0 | 348 | 348 | 1 | 9 | 2564 | 1 |

This first hop here is the connection between the computer and the wifi router. The average is about 9 which is super high for in-home networks but not the worst thing in the world. However it's spiking all the way up to 2500+ which is not good.

This latency spike on the winMTR matches up pretty well with the in-game Netgraph reports. The only value that is abnormal is latency in both reports.

Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's hard to tell as I don't know what that log line is based on but how far away are you from the router using WiFi and are you using 2.4 or 5GHz?
Message 4 of 6
Brennan73
Aspirant

Sorry to respond to a somewhat older thread and I know there are multiple other threads about the new beta version but I was wondering if someone could look into where I am on the list because I filled out that form quite some time ago. Thank you. 

Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We can't check precisely but we can try and boost you up the list.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7