× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: PING, LATENCY, VERY POOR ONLINE GAMING EXPERIENCE

Consumer0129383
Luminary

PING, LATENCY, VERY POOR ONLINE GAMING EXPERIENCE

Posted a image showing what my connection is like in pretty much every online game one PS4 Pro ecspecially Call of Duty games.

Can someone tell me why my connection is consistently like this? I have gone through google fiber network box, XR500, ASUS ROG GTX-11000, and now Netgear XR700. I'm having the same issues no matter what router I use. I've spoken to my ISP and to PSN with no sign of solving this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 1.05.39 PM.png

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's very hard to tell whether that is good or bad as there is no scale. Are you using QoS and the Geo-Filter? What is the average ping you're seeing to the game on the Geo-Filter?
Message 2 of 6
Consumer0129383
Luminary

This is bad! the ping is all over the place. When I'm having no problems my ping is relatively stable barley any deviation at all (flucuations between 2-3 points from the low end). I've used Qos, I've disabled it and I've done that with Geo-Filter as well. When there are no problems which is rare I see an average ping of 20-30ms. But 80% of the time I see dramatic fluctuation of 30ms up to 100+ms back down again. Not to mention getting killed instantly, hit detection being iffy, slow movement, and enemies just appearing in front of me.

Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is the scale on that picture? Where are you seeing those fluctuations, on the game reading or on the Geo-Filter? What QoS settings have you used so far? Are you connecting to the closest server with the Geo-Filter?
Message 4 of 6
Consumer0129383
Luminary

What is the scale on that picture? Whatever scale Call of Duty Black Ops 4 uses.

Where are you seeing those fluctuations, on the game reading or on the Geo-Filter? Those readings are on the game. You don't see the connection meter for a game/match on the Geo-Filter all you see is the number for the ping.

What QoS settings have you used so far? I've used them all and I have shut them all down. It doesn't seem to do anything at all.

Are you connecting to the closest server with the Geo-Filter? YesWhen I have the Geo-filter active it takes much longer to find a match and it is always with in the radius. But, some of the closest servers are the worst. There is one in Oklahoma that is absolute trash 123ms+.

Here is an image of what it should look like (although the game play was still extremely laggy).

IMG_7815.JPG

Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It should have a numbered ping scale so if it doesn't then it's not useful information, it could be fluctuating by 1ms which is neglible. Yes what is the ping on the Geo-Filter and does that fluctuate? Perform lots of downloads on your network and follow this guide while changing your Anti-Bufferbloat percentage until you find the lowest ping/most stable: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

If the close servers aren't playing well then use the Geo-Filter to force slightly further away servers. That picture hasn't been moderated yet so can't see what it is.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7