× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: PS4 Downloading only at a 50 mbps

JonSnowKnowsNad
Apprentice

PS4 Downloading only at a 50 mbps

im monitoring my ps4 while its doing the modern warfare season 2 update which is around a 50 GB download and the network monitor only shows it downloading at 50 mbps sometimes it goes up and sometimes it goes down. i even allocated like 130 mbps to my ps4 on the QoS. I usually get 150 mbps on download on speed test. isnt it supposed to download faster.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Speedtest and ISPs measure speed in megabits per second, your downloads are done in megabytes per second so 150 megabits equates to roughly 18.75 megabytes per second. That is the reason why it seems as though there is a discrepancy.
Message 2 of 12
plemans
Guru

@JonSnowKnowsNad wrote:

im monitoring my ps4 while its doing the modern warfare season 2 update which is around a 50 GB download and the network monitor only shows it downloading at 50 mbps sometimes it goes up and sometimes it goes down. i even allocated like 130 mbps to my ps4 on the QoS. I usually get 150 mbps on download on speed test. isnt it supposed to download faster.

The other issue is the download is set by whichever server the modern warfare session is on. It might only have the capacity at that time for 50mbps. Just because you set 130mbps, doesn't mean its available from MW.

Message 3 of 12
JonSnowKnowsNad
Apprentice

fraser, im confused so are you saying the network monitor is telling me how much bandwidth each devices are using in megabytes per second? because its not when i do a speed test on my pc. the network monitor will show that my pc is using 150 download and 15 upload. which is near identical to what my isp/speed test results are.

Message 4 of 12
JonSnowKnowsNad
Apprentice

what should i do then sensei?

Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

Not a lot you can do. If a speed test is giving you full speed then your modem, router, setup is working as it should. It's the modern warfare or whatever game your playing at the time limiting the speed.
Message 6 of 12
JonSnowKnowsNad
Apprentice

do you have any sources? if im downloading modern warfare update and its not downloading at the speed my isp/speed test results show your saying that it's not because of my router/modem/wiring?

Message 7 of 12
plemans
Guru

@JonSnowKnowsNad wrote:

do you have any sources? if im downloading modern warfare update and its not downloading at the speed my isp/speed test results show your saying that it's not because of my router/modem/wiring?

Correct. 

If you speedtest on your pc/laptop, its usually running off a server designed to saturate a internet connection. For your modern warfare setup,  its going PC------>router---->modem------>ISP (and several other steps)-------Modem/gateway (MW side)---------> modern warefare server.    If MW maxed out everyone's connection, they'd have to pay for a rediculous connection to the ISP. so they limit their max speed a bit. It's going to be a bit variable as users are connected to the MW server and using bandwidth.

Just because you have 150mbps connection doesn't mean the modern warfare or other gaming servers are going to saturate that connection. I have a gigabit connection and I rarely see anywhere need gigabit speeds unless I'm speedtesting. 

Message 8 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Apologies, I misread that it was saying 50 on the console. The Network Monitor is showing in Megabits, it depends what you're looking at on the monitor as well - the Snapshot shows more of an average so it might be averaging at 50. The Overview shows you the fluctuations in the speed (a download will never just constantly stay at the same speed) so it may be downloading as fast as it can if there are wide variations.
Message 9 of 12
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Turn your QoS off. Every time I was downloading on the PS4 with no games running I had to turn off QoS to allow it to max out. Make sure bufferbloat is not stuck on, it's a bit temperamental.

Message 10 of 12
JonSnowKnowsNad
Apprentice

its actually fine. i think what sensei said is most likely correct as i was downloading call of duty titles like Black ops 3 and Ghosts yesterday and it was downloading really fast, but updating Modern warfare 2019 was going hella slower than usual  . and the network monitor showed speeds above 150+ Mbps when i was downloading black ops 3 and ghosts which i get on speed test results. i dont run bufferbloat because i dont want my speeds being capped.

Message 11 of 12
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

That's great, glad you got your answer. If you do notice a slow down, try with QoS off and see what happens. 

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7