× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Parental Controls

Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You could use a dynamic DNS service which the router does support which can block categories of websites you deem inappropriate. I realise that's not a complete solution but it is something you could start using right away.
Message 26 of 47
randiniz
Guide

I understand you attempt to appease the forum.  I recommend that you do not consistantly say that your team is looking into Parental Controls as your team has been saying this since the router came out.  Frankly to say you are looking into something repeatedly for over two years is just a lie.  

We all know that this is a gaming router.  The fact is that kids like to game.  As a result, we buy the best router for gaming (and at a premium price) to allow the best gaming experience for our kids.  Unfortunately, as I have said before, the DumaOS falls short as a well rounded gaming router.

My suggestion is just to admit that that is all it is and that your team will never offer parental controls.  Remember, honesty is always the best policy.  For now my FingBox takes care of the parental controls that this router and the DumaOS lack.

Message 27 of 47
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Parental Controls is on our roadmap but unfortunately I can't speculate on when it may be introduced. We have a lot of ideas about to implement this and believe we can do some very clever things and this will take time. We do strive to bring the best out of every feature we introduce as we want that premium feel to go along with the great software that's available already.
Message 28 of 47
Zwilk
Aspirant

@randiniz  I am unfamiliar with Fingbox but will definitely check it out!  Any issues or shortcomings related to our discussion that I should be aware of?  Thanks!

Message 29 of 47
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

@randiniz wrote:

My suggestion is just to admit that that is all it is and that your team will never offer parental controls.  Remember, honesty is always the best policy.  For now my FingBox takes care of the parental controls that this router and the DumaOS lack.

We're actually not lying when we say that parental controls are in the pipeline, it's something our team is very interested in adding to the router, but we want to do it properly.

If you have any suggestions for Parental Control features that you'd like to see, I can put you in touch with the DumaOS developers. They'd be interested in hearing what customers want from their Parental Controls solutions. What do current solutions offer that you like? What do you wish they would do that they don't?

Anybody who's interested in giving their suggestions to the developers, let me know and i'll put you in contact.

Message 30 of 47
Shedding
Tutor

I certainly would like to be able to see web history. My 14 year old is taking a bit too long in the restroom with his cell phone.....
Message 31 of 47
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Maybe it's just a really addictive mobile game? Maybe not...

I'll PM you some details about talking to the DumaOS devs about what you'd like to see from a Parental Controls feature, if you'd like.

Message 32 of 47
Winklebe
Aspirant

Needless to say this is a significant disapointment to me.... I have seen your company advertise the parental control features of the "Nighthawk App".. this was the reason I selected your brand. But to then sell a "nighthawk" router (all be it, a gaming router) that doesn't offer the enhanced features that you using to market the nighthawk brand is just down right rediculous and manipulative in my opinion. I don't see how this can not be priority number 1 for your company, seeing the number of parents with kids that "Game". 

Message 33 of 47
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Netgear promote their router and handle hardware, we just handle the DumaOS part of the router. So I would suggest contacting Netgear directly if you have concerns over that. Our focus initially was to bring out a true OS for routers that allows us flexibility on the features we can add. We needed to first include the features our previous software did (pre Netgear) and get that all working, so now we can/are looking at the bigger picture and are understanding what people want and how we might achieve that.
Message 34 of 47
Tictachealer
Aspirant

If who ever answers the forums on here would please let the higher ups know we are asking for this instead of giving the generic answer “it’s on the road map” yes. I’m sure it is on the road map and I’m sure it’s not a priority. But I think if someone higher up maybe a supervisor or a dev knew this was in high demand they could copy some quick code over even if sloppy. It would suffice and be quick and later down the road map they could fix it up.

Just please let someone up there know.. thank you.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 35 of 47
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Well when I say "on the roadmap" I literally mean we're working on it. We're aware it's a much requested feature.

When we do release it, we're going to do it right. We're not really interested in releasing some half baked parental control feature that barely works.

Message 36 of 47
randiniz
Guide

UPDATE:

I made the decision to move back to a non-gaming router.  The performance and features of the XR500 are both disappointing and worthless.  I use the FingBox to manage all users and devices from my cell phone.  The app works whether I am at home or away so that is a nice bonus.  I have week night and weekend schedules for my kids and can shut off their access with the push of a button.  The Zing app also notifies me when a new device joins the network.  My kid's devices are assigned to them individually, so I can manage their access to their IP technology on an individual basis.

Since I switched routers the reliability of my home network has improved significantly. Combined with my ZingBox I have all the speed and control I ever wanted.   Unfortunately the DumaOS application just does not live up to the current needs of parents with children. 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 37 of 47
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear you've changed routers but glad you've found something that works for you. I hope that when our parental controls are released you'll consider coming back as it should be very powerful!
Message 38 of 47
kkach
Tutor

Sooooooo............any updates for parental controls

Message 39 of 47
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

No not yet, but DumaOS 3.0 is getting closer to launch.

Message 40 of 47
kkach
Tutor

How much longer for this update and will it have scheduling controls ??    Looking to buy an Asus any time now if theres no options coming up .  

Message 41 of 47
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We're working on our next big update DumaOS 3.0 and hope to have it in beta soon. It will have scheduling.
Message 42 of 47
JDAKA0131
Tutor

2 years later and still nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It’s getting old! Add parental controls and device manager with time limits like every other brand out there. We spent a lot of money on this router and modem as the site toted parental controls, yet none exist. I have an appointment in 20 min to switch back to xfinity router, which would make this just a expensive paperweight.
Message 43 of 47
JDAKA0131
Tutor

You said that a year ago!!! I will be forced to rent a XFinity modem again after wasting so much money on this router. No excuse
Message 44 of 47
Zwilk
Aspirant

Disappointing to say the least. My nighthawk is being used as a paperweight, I've switched to a completely different brand. Maybe next time they listen to the forum and brighten up. They are clearly not listening to their customer needs.
Message 45 of 47
JDAKA0131
Tutor

Sucks they didn’t even bother trying to address this. It’s a simple feature that most routers have. Just because it’s a gaming router doesn’t negate the need for controls. Especially since most of the people gaming are teens who need to have a hard disconnect times. I remember when I first got this router I saw the parental control feature in the description yet there was no real useful controls to be used, especially on the App. No way I would have purchased it otherwise. Very disappointed! I passed on newer WiFi 6 routers for this one and now definitely regretting it. Xfinity has one of the best apps out there, XFi, and when I “upgraded” from there’s to nighthawk I assumed theirs would be better. Guess price really isn’t everything in this market.
Message 46 of 47
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It is currently in the firmware build for DumaOS 3.0 that has recently started beta. If you want to be apart of the next test batches then I'd recommend you sign up here: http://www.netgearinnovation.com/dumaos-beta/index.html once you're able to use it it will provide a perfect opportunity for you to provide us with feedback.
Message 47 of 47
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7