× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ping GS108PEv3 dropped packets

jfuaito
Aspirant

Ping GS108PEv3 dropped packets

My GS108Ev3 switch and MacBook connected directly to Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router X500. When Ping from my MacBook to the switch, some packets were dropped. Mostly reach approximately icmp_seq 1000 then will see some packets dropped. I had tried to connect the switch from port 1 to 8 to the router's port 1 and continue to Ping respectively but still will get some packets dropped. Is there any correct or recommendation to connect the switch port to router's port? For example, using the switch's port 1 to router's port 1. Both switch (V2.06.03EN) and router ( V2.2.1.10) are using the latest firmware version.

Model: GS108Ev3|ProSafe 8 ports Gigabit Plus switch
Message 1 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you take a look at this, it may help with your situation: https://serverfault.com/questions/451626/ping-from-a-pc-to-a-switch-beginner

I can't think of any specific settings on the router that would cause that. The specific ports used shouldn't matter.
Message 2 of 5
TheEther
Guru

Personally, I would not worry too much about the occasional dropped packet when directly pinging the switch. The switch's CPU is probably really slow. The CPU should not involved in switching packets. It would be more useful to ping a device connected to the switch.
Message 3 of 5
jfuaito
Aspirant

I think this should be correct that the switch itself response delay. I had tried pinging all three devices which connected to the switch until icmp_seq more than 2000 and none of the packets were lost.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 4 of 5
jfuaito
Aspirant

This should be benefit to know and understand.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7