× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ping assist doesn't work.

heroxoot
Apprentice

Ping assist doesn't work.

I turned on Ping assist, set it to 60, and it still lets peers connect to me that are well above this threshold. What gives?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 41
heroxoot
Apprentice

To help people understand, i made my geofilter super tiny so most everyone is outside, and yet it lets people and servers connect to me that are well above my set 60ms.

https://i.imgur.com/OCh7Qef.png

Message 2 of 41
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Try downgrading to the original fiwmare: https://kb.netgear.com/000053241/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-0-0-28

And then upgrading again: https://kb.netgear.com/000060464/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-40

This will uninstall and reinstall Ping Assist and hopefully fix the issue.

Message 3 of 41
heroxoot
Apprentice

Still not working. I installed the previous FW which removed Ping Assist. Reinstalled 2.3.2.40 and did a factory reset. Everything else that I had malfunction with now seems to be working properly, yet ping assist just let someone in france with a ping of 90 connect to me while my assist is set to 60. Pretty sure my circle over a 3rd of the US does not reach France.

Message 4 of 41
heroxoot
Apprentice

Yet another connection well above my poing assist setting. This time a a ping of 110 from Mexico. What is the point of this feature? Seems useless.

NetDuma might consider just making a Geofilter setting by country instead of this bull**bleep** with a disformed circle and so called "ping assist". Because so far geofilter has not helped me in any game I've played. I've had this router for almost a year and thus far it's the biggest waste of money I've bought.

Message 5 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What game are you playing and do you have better games by just using the radius? Do you have fast search enabled for ping assist as that could lead to the problem you're having here.
Message 6 of 41
heroxoot
Apprentice

I've tried it with fast search on and off. I do not have better time with radius because people in my radius all seem to have comcast with nasty high pings and here I am with a private Fiber optic ISP. I found out the only way to even turn off ping assist is to delete the devices added to my geofilter, set it to 0, and then add them back.  I'm using my PC to play games but have it added in devices as a console (xbox) because otherwise geofilter doesn't work at all. I play several fighting games that all use Unreal Engine but setting it to Unreal Engine does nothing too because it's not PUBG or Fortnite. All I want is the feature to function properly.

I've never been disatisfied by a router in all my life until this one. I paid up for the features and they hardly work. I was just set up with someone with a ping of 120 far outside my circle. Literally DOUBLE the ping assist value. No matter what the ping is, it's covered by a tiny circle of dots, rather than a triangle showing the ping is too high/outside radius.

Message 7 of 41
heroxoot
Apprentice

Oh and now all my wireless devices constantly disconnect from wifi and have to reconnect to the internet. Absolutely garbage,

Message 8 of 41
heroxoot
Apprentice

I've done pretty much everything to try and make it work. It worked for a moment and went back to the way it was.

Message 9 of 41
heroxoot
Apprentice

After watching my geofilter while playing SFV for HOURS, it finally shows someone outside the radius with a triangle signifying a bad he is a bad ping. I think the problem is this firmware doesn't ping them more than once before showing results. Thus if the ping is below threshold the first time, it just assumes it is fine even if it fluctuates. What it needs to do is see the ping has gone over threshold and just block it after the fact. The router has no issue pinging multiple people, I cannot imagine it cannot see the ping has gone above threshold and thus deny the peer.

Message 10 of 41
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

@heroxoot wrote:

After watching my geofilter while playing SFV for HOURS, it finally shows someone outside the radius with a triangle signifying a bad he is a bad ping. I think the problem is this firmware doesn't ping them more than once before showing results. Thus if the ping is below threshold the first time, it just assumes it is fine even if it fluctuates. What it needs to do is see the ping has gone over threshold and just block it after the fact. The router has no issue pinging multiple people, I cannot imagine it cannot see the ping has gone above threshold and thus deny the peer.

While that sounds like a good idea, DumaOS doesn't block existing connections because we don't want the device to be used for cheating. That said, this would probably be a legitimate use of such a functionality.

Message 11 of 41
heroxoot
Apprentice

Then my suggestion to you and the Net Duma team is to make Ping Assist poll 2-3 times before accepting a connection as okay by the assist.  When you do a trace route in CMD it shows 3 pings for each hop.  Do something similar before assuming the ping is good. Fluctuation happens but it's straight up letting high pings in often. I get people who will ping the first time as say 48, and then jump to 70ms and fluctuate heavily and stay way above my ping assist threshold. The entire reason I want to use this feature is because many peer to peer games poll once and then think the connection is "5 bars". I bought my XR450 to help games with poor matchmaking but thus far it has not done me much good. On a hardware level it's fantastic but the DumaOS has been a little bit of a let down over something like DD-WRT. GeoFIlter is the only real feature here that I bought it for.

Message 12 of 41
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Okay i've added that to the big list of suggestions. Maybe a slider between a quicker ping assist and a stricter ping assist.

Message 13 of 41
heroxoot
Apprentice

I guess thats cool. My idea is more like, prior to connection if the ping fluctuates way too much out of range to just deny the peer.  I understand why you'd say about cheating. Once you connect to them don't just cut the connection but rather within a set polling time if it goes above the threshold block the peer. 

Example, Street Fighter V has a 15 second time frame to accept a match. If you make the assist poll 2-3 times within say 5-10 seconds, it can see the ping is bad and above the limitation set and put the bad triangle on it on GeoFIlter. Most peer to peer games have a long polling time like this for the player to accept the match, with the exception some shooters don't use a server and might poll similarly without the option to accept it.

Perhaps also consider making GeoFilter work for PC not based on game engine, but maybe by game clients. Steam, BlizzApp, Origin, etc. So far most games I play require me to add my PC as a console.

Message 14 of 41
heroxoot
Apprentice

I set my assist lower and it seems to do much better job. Set to 50 it has kept out more people who fluctuate from 60-100, but still let's people who are fluctuating from 50-65ish area in. I'm finding this more comfortable.
Message 15 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Most likely the reason that is happening is because when it initially detects the ping, if it is within your range it will be allowed even if it then goes up after that. That explains why the ping range is sometimes 15ms above.
Message 16 of 41
heroxoot
Apprentice

That's why I suggested it ping the peer more than once. My router shows the ping as it fluctuates. I believe it would be easy for it to let it detect that a few times before making a decision. And if it fluctuates an higher than the set threshold after say 10 seconds it no longer will have the option to refuse. That way you can't expect it to kick people out of your game once it's underway.

As I said, many games have a short timer to accept matches when it's a peer to peer game like say, street fighter or Tekken. That should be plenty of time for the router to make the call on an unstable ping above the threshold.
Message 17 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's a good idea definitely, Alex has made a note so hopefully the dev team will agree and look into it.
Message 18 of 41
heroxoot
Apprentice

Found another problem when ping assist is enabled. Now it's blocking servers I already have in my allow list. All the Street Fighter V servers are in Oregon and have a high ping, like 100+. But I allow them so matchmaking can run in the game. Even with them on the allow list, a lot of times they show as a triangle, only to show I've named the server and allowed it when I ping it. Not an issue had with just using radius, however radius letting in anyone within it is worse in my experience.

This function is very odd and seemingly broken.

Message 19 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That shouldn't be the case at all, are you 100% they are the same server? Servers are located in clusters in the same location and can appear to have a very similar ID but are slightly different.
Message 20 of 41
heroxoot
Apprentice

I thought it was clustered up and sometimes I see it is but there's a case where its just a triangle and when I click it the server is already allowed. It started doing it after I flushed the cloud. Doesn't se to be blocking it.
Message 21 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you delete it from deny/allow and then re-add it when you see it does it work properly then?
Message 22 of 41
heroxoot
Apprentice

Well I can't always do that because another dedicated server for the game pops up on top and clusters it up. But I'll try it next time I see it.

Message 23 of 41
heroxoot
Apprentice

Yes this fixed it. Now the server with the same ID shows as a circle. Guess it was just a bug. Very nice.

Message 24 of 41
heroxoot
Apprentice

Also I'd like to say Ping Assist seems to work better as time goes on? I had to set it much lower to make it work better, like 40 threshold. But it just caught someone literally with a ping of 41 and denied it. Which is funny to me.

Message 25 of 41
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7