× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Please Explain Like I'm 5 years old

Mygamertagsucks
Apprentice

Please Explain Like I'm 5 years old

I must be misunderstanding the QoS part of this operating system. My Internet is 500/25. I go into device manager first, and delete all of the things that are offline, and will be offline for awhile, such as relatives phones, tablets, etc, before I set the QoS rules. In my home, there are three of us, with 5 things on the network at all times (3 phones, an iPad, and an XBOXONE). Then I turn on my PlayStation 4. The Bandwidth Allocation is preset at something like 11% down and up for all devices, including my hardwired PS4. Wanting to get the most out of the time I have available to play, I wind up setting the QoS so that my PS4 gets 85% of the download and 90% of the upload "When High Priority Traffic Detected. Then I slide my AntiBufferBloat sliders to 70/70, but I'm not sure why I want that being so low, seeing as how I'm the device on the network that is trying to be a bandwidth hog.

Can someone please explain this to me like I'm 5?
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you're just gaming on the PS4 it is impossible to be a bandwidth hog, gaming uses less than 1Mbps so you definitely don't need to be allocating that much to the console as it won't use it anyway. Anti-Bufferbloat is what keeps all devices from using the entirety of your connection by ensuring that bandwidth is kept in reserve meaning that you won't lag even if devices download etc.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you're just gaming on the PS4 it is impossible to be a bandwidth hog, gaming uses less than 1Mbps so you definitely don't need to be allocating that much to the console as it won't use it anyway. Anti-Bufferbloat is what keeps all devices from using the entirety of your connection by ensuring that bandwidth is kept in reserve meaning that you won't lag even if devices download etc.
Message 2 of 5
thehypnootoad
Luminary

Be betted using Dmz  but theres upside amd downside so its better reading into it. https://forum.netduma.com/topic/30458-what-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-putting-my-console-in-dmz/

Also port fowarding. Again comes with risks, also things like dns servers can make slight difference and certain isp's are better for gaming.

Message 3 of 5
Mygamertagsucks
Apprentice

Thank you for the reply, and explanation. I've always heard gaming uses a minute amount of bandwidth, but I somehow got it in my head that more is better, for everything.
Fortunately, after rereading your post, I now have a better understanding of the software, and kinda feel like a doink for not knowing any better.
Message 4 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Don't feel that way, it's actually quite a common misconception! Ping is the most important and higher speeds doesn't necessarily mean lower ping.
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7