× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Plex Media Server ReadyNas with XR700 Nighthawk Router

mluca117
Aspirant

Plex Media Server ReadyNas with XR700 Nighthawk Router

Hi there. I had a question in regards to my Nighthawk XR700 Gaming router and Plex Media Server.

I just downloaded the new firmware update V1.0.1.36 onto my XR 700 router and did a factory reset, all is working well so far.

Now i'm trying to install my Plex Media Server (that wasnt installed before so first time doing this) and I keep getting the, "No USB device found, please connect a usb device to the router" error.

My setup is as follows:

Router: Nighthawk XR700

USB Storage device: Netgear ReadyNas RN214 16TB (Network Attached Storage)

- Also have a WD MyCloud 8TB but not using this in the setup.

I have the Netgear Nas registered in the XR700 "USB Storage" > "ReadyCloud" and it appears as a router icon when I sign into my nas via the inertenet. I then connected the Netgear NAS to my router via a USB 3.0 Data transfer cable A-A however the USB device doesnt show up. Does the XR700 PMS (Plex Media Server) support NAS devices? The one im using is created by Netgear itself so I figured it should be compatible.

What has to be done to get PMS up and running through my XR700? Also, does the media HAVE to be on the attached USB drive when connected to the router or can I access the media over the network lets say on my laptop or NAS. What is the USB device that I have to connect used for? To install the plex app and store logs there or is it used for the actual video files?

Thanks in advance for your help!

- Matt

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4

@mluca117 wrote:

Hi there. I had a question in regards to my Nighthawk XR700 Gaming router and Plex Media Server.

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's impenetrable community structure.)

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Nighthawk Pro Gaming Routers - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

Message 2 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I think you may need to install Plex on your NAS, here is an article on how to do that, I'm not sure whether it would apply to yours or not. https://kb.netgear.com/25705/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Plex-Installation-Setup

I think the media does have to be on the attached USB device. I work for Netduma so these questions may be better answered by Netgear themselves, if you sign in here you can make a ticket http://support.netgear.com/

Message 3 of 4
mluca117
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies. I just posted it in the following link. Hopefully it reaches the correct community this time around!

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7