× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Port 22 SSH closed, not stealthed.

Killhippie
Prodigy

Port 22 SSH closed, not stealthed.

Just loaded up the latest firmware for the XR500 2.2.0.4 and noticed that (yes I know shields up is not the greatest these days) but it came back saying all ports stealthed but that port 22 is closed. All other ports are stealthed. Anyone know whats going on there? I cant do a hard reset because the router has the password issue that the r7800 had where '\' symbol causes a 400 server error. Since I have a 63 character ASCII pasword I'm waiting for that to get fixed as im not changing my password to exclude that symbol on 12 devices. its bad enough typing it in the first time on a TV with a remote control!

So back to the port 22 issue SSH login protocol, anyone else seeing this and any idea on a fix. Or is this a sit and wait for it to get fixed in a new update or is it even meant to be like this. My R7800 shows all steathed on latest firmware which also fixed the '\' password symbol issue.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Port 22 SSH closed, not stealthed.

I think that can all be resolved rather easily, it's with the Dev team now so will see when it can be done.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Killhippie, have you spoken with Neil from Netgear? I have spoken to the developers they will double check and work on a fix if required. Don't worry its not a security risk!
Message 2 of 7
Killhippie
Prodigy

Yes I have. I was just throwing this out here to see if others had found this or knew a work around. Thanks for the assurance.  A stealthed port is only a closed port hidden by a black hole anyway and they know you’re there by the fact that your firewall doesn’t respond. I was just surprised to see port 22 showing as closed and not hidden.  Great router I have to say. Just a few teething problems,  nothing bad. II mean the R7800 has been out for over two years and that still got bugs. The only really big thing I noticed apart from the password symbol issue is the port numbering and I’m hoping that will be sorted with new firmware.  

Message 3 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Totally understand, Neil has spoken with us so we're aware and will sort it out. Are you referring to the physical ports on the router being backwards essentially? If so Netgear are aware of that and can/will be fixed in an update as well.
Message 4 of 7
Killhippie
Prodigy

Good to hear the Ethernet port numbering mismatch is going to be sorted out, thanks for the information. Port 22 which I believe is SSH login protocols I believe no idea how that got past QA but bugs happen. The password bug is the same as one the R7800 7800 had this fault fixed in its last firmware update as the router can’t deal with ‘ \’ in ASCII WiFi passwords giving an error. Hopefully it shouldn’t be difficult to port that over to the XR500.
Message 5 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I think that can all be resolved rather easily, it's with the Dev team now so will see when it can be done.
Message 6 of 7
Killhippie
Prodigy

Sorry about typos, I was voice typing, I'm disabled and sometimes I have to due to pain and medication. Looking forward to the fixes.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7