× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Port Fowarding for XBox 1 X (XR500)

gwager08
Aspirant

Port Fowarding for XBox 1 X (XR500)

Does anyone know how the process of doing port forwarding on the Xbox One X, specifically for halo 5? Excuse my ignorance as I am not too familiar with advanced network setups.
Message 1 of 8
Rick6922
Luminary

Re: Port Fowarding for XBox 1 X (XR500)

I think theres some walk through vids. on youtube.

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 2 of 8
gwager08
Aspirant

Is port forwarding recommended? I am seeing conflicting information. The NAT on my Xbox is already open, so do I also have to manually open the ports in the router as well? Just confused as to what the best setting is.
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Port Forward is not needed if you have uPnP enabled. If your getting OPEN NAT, then your ok. 

Also What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? If this has a built in router this can cause connection problems. 

@gwager08 wrote:
Is port forwarding recommended? I am seeing conflicting information. The NAT on my Xbox is already open, so do I also have to manually open the ports in the router as well? Just confused as to what the best setting is.

Message 4 of 8
gwager08
Aspirant

Manufacturer:  Spectrum

Model:  E31U2V1

The modem is just a modem and not a modem/route combo.  I am trying to get the optimal performace with my setup.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

All you need is uPnP enabled. No Port Fowarding is needed. 

Review this:

http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

Message 6 of 8
gwager08
Aspirant

Thank you very much. I could not find an answer on this. My buddy has unpn and ports open and swears he is seeing improved performance but I suspect it is a placebo.
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Well, again, if you only have one xbox connected. then you only need uPnP. uPnP is like automatic Port Fowarding. So when it's enabled, Manual PF is not needed. 

Performance is debatible and depends on many othger factors. ISP service quality, modem quality, router configuration. Wired vs wireess connections and Game services and bandwidth. 

@gwager08 wrote:
Thank you very much. I could not find an answer on this. My buddy has unpn and ports open and swears he is seeing improved performance but I suspect it is a placebo.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7