× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Port forwarding issue for Metal Gear Online 2

RaidenOsamu
Guide

Port forwarding issue for Metal Gear Online 2

I am playing this online multi-player revived on a private server (online multiplayer of Metal Gear Solid 4 from 2008) and wanted to try the geo-filter for when I host rooms to prevent cross-region lag. Before getting the Netgear XR1000 gaming router and just using the gateway supplied by my ISP I could host games for players to join without issue. Now that I have the router I get the in game error message of "Unable to host/create game in current network environment". Could be a conflict with port forwarding, Netgear XR1000 not compatible with this game or another issue?
Message 1 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Port forwarding issue for Metal Gear Online 2

Check the Geo-Filter Map, do you get something appearing as blocked? It's possible it's making a connection to the MGS servers to verify the lobby, in which case add that to your allow list and then try again.
Message 2 of 5
RaidenOsamu
Guide

Thanks! I will try that! Wanted to see if geo-filter works when hosting games as well as when matchmaking 😂 I had MGO port forwarded on both the netgear router and the ATT gateway. I only need to port forward on the Netgear?
Message 3 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You would only need to do it on the XR, on the gateway, remove the port forwarding rules then put the XR WAN IP (found on the System Information page) into the gateway DMZ - that could also be another reason it wasn't working
Message 4 of 5
RaidenOsamu
Guide

Cool! I remember doing that earlier today with the other issue I had through IP Passthrough. 😁
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7