× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problem with NetGear 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch?

victorjohn9211
Follower

Problem with NetGear 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch?

Hi,

I am trying to connect NetGear 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch with my computer but its not showing any internet sign on my desktop.

I have installed its wires and softwares too.

Thanks

Victor John

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Problem with NetGear 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch?

The GS608v3 is an unmanaged switch, it does not come with any software for that very reason.

Just a computer and a switch connected does not make an Internet access. Should the switch be connected eg. to a cable modem (not a modem/router combo) [or probably a downunder NBN outlet] you need to be ware that these typically only assigns one public IP address - and this address is intended to run a NAT/WiFi router.

What hits my eyes is that the price quoted for this very basic switch is completely beyond - the 234 AUD (or about 160 USD) should buy you four or five units.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: Problem with NetGear 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch?

The GS608v3 is an unmanaged switch, it does not come with any software for that very reason.

Just a computer and a switch connected does not make an Internet access. Should the switch be connected eg. to a cable modem (not a modem/router combo) [or probably a downunder NBN outlet] you need to be ware that these typically only assigns one public IP address - and this address is intended to run a NAT/WiFi router.

What hits my eyes is that the price quoted for this very basic switch is completely beyond - the 234 AUD (or about 160 USD) should buy you four or five units.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7