× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problems setting up, turning off?

LilsTheGOAT
Guide

Problems setting up, turning off?

Hey guys!

So I bought a the NetGear XR300 and DM200 Modem to replace my Sky modem/router. Following the setup process I can't get the router to stay on to complete setup.

Power both on, green lights on Modem turn on Router, I wait for the Wifi light to show 

Connecting to the Wifi to complete set-up on my phone using the app

The router turns off.

This happens everytime

This was bought brand new from Amazon

Please help me!

Model: XR300|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 16
LilsTheGOAT
Guide

Looks like I'm sending it back, contacted customer support and they recommened this.

Message 2 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Needs to be replaced. Good Luck. 

Message 3 of 16
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Bad luck with this - hopefully your replacement arrives swiftly. Let us know on here if you need any help setting it up.

Message 4 of 16
LilsTheGOAT
Guide

Cheers guys!

Message 5 of 16
LilsTheGOAT
Guide

So the new one works, but no I have set-up problems.

I completed the set-up wizard and it found my connection. The speed test came back with nothing.

After completing the set-up I had no internet access on my computer. Every time I went to access a website it sent me back to the router login.

I did try using the Mac of my old router to no avail. I also reset the modem and router a few times.

What do I need to do?

Message 6 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That sounds like you haven't actually completed the setup wizard, did you get past the part where it asks you to register the product on the Netgear site?
Message 7 of 16
LilsTheGOAT
Guide

Interesting, no it didn't.

On a side note, I have found that I can't connect with the modem only. So could it be the modem needs setting up?

Message 8 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

Message 9 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay sounds like it wasn't completed then which makes sense. You don't get an internet connection when a PC is directly connected to the modem? Reboot the modem and see if that brings back the connection then try again setting up the router.
Message 10 of 16
LilsTheGOAT
Guide

I managed to get the modem working, connected and online. Then I changed it to bridged mode and connected the router, it wouldn't connect at all.

I'm gunna start over tomorrow, what are the exact steps I need to do with the DM200 Modem and the XR300.

I'm on Sky Fibre UK, ADSL2+

Message 11 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

For Sky specifically I know it can be tough to get it working correctly as they're not keen on people using third party equipment. Are you using the login details for Sky on the router for PPPoE? If not then you'll need to do that.
Message 12 of 16
LilsTheGOAT
Guide

This did come up on the router but it didn't work for me. However on the modem I just put in, option 61. I read somewhere about it and it worked.

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Try option #2 and use the modems DMZ...

@LilsTheGOAT wrote:

I managed to get the modem working, connected and online. Then I changed it to bridged mode and connected the router, it wouldn't connect at all.

I'm gunna start over tomorrow, what are the exact steps I need to do with the DM200 Modem and the XR300.

I'm on Sky Fibre UK, ADSL2+

Message 14 of 16
LilsTheGOAT
Guide

I iwll try option 2 tomorrow, I didn't get a chance today.

I also posted on the Sky Forums and someone said this; 

First point Sky do not use PPOE they use Option 61 also known as MER so your router wil need to handle that and from a quick scan of the manual it does not. Sky do not support third party routers so you are on your own but fortunately Sky fibre does not require account details as it uses a generic log in. If you search the forum you will find posts giving details but many routers handle that automatically.

Is this correct? I sorta feel like I am close to getting it to work..

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You might search here in the NG forums for MER. 

If you can get accesst to the ISP Modems DMZ, you could use it as a entry point for the XR router. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7