× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Purevpn on XR500 works but throughput slowed.

WacoJohn
Luminary

Purevpn on XR500 works but throughput slowed.

VPN enabled ... 15mbs down.  Disabled .... 200mbs down.  Any suggestions?   Thank you in advance.

firmware 2.3.2.56

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do Not VPN these services with no services added means the entire device is behind the VPN. So if that is the case it will have applied. Where did you disable h/w acceleration? I can't see the pictures as they haven't been moderated yet. If the VPN is enabled then great and then it is really up to you whether the speed through VPN outways your need for QoS - depends what you will be doing on the network really/how many other devices are being used.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Unfortunately you will receive lower speeds when using the VPN through the router, that's why I would suggest you use the feature to only apply to specific services/applications you want to be protected so the rest of the device can use your normal connection unrestricted.
Message 2 of 7
WacoJohn
Luminary

Yes, Sir.  I would expect lower speeds but not by that much. 

Purevpn has an article on the subject with suggestions but some involve modem settings.  It's not my modem, belongs to ISP and I am very hesitant to go in there even if I specifically knew how.  Furthermore I can't seem to now find that specific article. 

I do find How to Turbo Charge Your VPN Speed?

I could disable PVN in the ROUTER and use the Windows app and twiddle around with that.

Thought I would seek your comments before I make things worse.  Thank you for your time.

Message 3 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Judging by the options from that article there is nothing you can do on that front unfortunately. If you wanted faster speeds then using the Windows app would allow you to do that. If what you want to VPN is dependent on high bandwidth use the app, if it isn't then use Hybrid VPN, that would be my advice.
Message 4 of 7
WacoJohn
Luminary

Not too sure what is going on now.  PVN recommended turn off hardware acceleration and firewall and test.  Found nothing about firewall in Duma, but shut down QOS entirely (not recommended) and h/w acceleration.  Not sure about VPN Traffic section ... All devices set 'do not vpn these services'.  At this point, not sure what to 'not vpn'.

I am getting 180 down now.  Makes me wonder if PVN is even active.  I guess it is as it is enabled.  This leaves the question .... leave it as is or turn QOS etc back on?  Sorry ... that I am so ignorant.

Notice connected and connectING. (dunno if it is wise to publish IP addresses, but ..)

connected.pngconnectING.png

Message 5 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do Not VPN these services with no services added means the entire device is behind the VPN. So if that is the case it will have applied. Where did you disable h/w acceleration? I can't see the pictures as they haven't been moderated yet. If the VPN is enabled then great and then it is really up to you whether the speed through VPN outways your need for QoS - depends what you will be doing on the network really/how many other devices are being used.
Message 6 of 7
WacoJohn
Luminary

I did not disable h/w acceleration.  Confusion on my part.  I am getting a very satisfactory throughput.  I guess the 15Mb was some kind of fluke.  I want to thank you for your help and education.  When I grow up, I want to be just like you.  Robot wink

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7