× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

QOS Work with Extenders

Opularity
Guide

QOS Work with Extenders

Hi Everyone,

Im Wondering if QOS works with/through extenders. I have the xr500 router downstairs and my bedroom with my gaming setup is upstairs and i connect my PC and PS4 to the Ex7700 extender with the ethernet port connected to both devices (so the Ex7700 connects to the router with 5ghz connection). I was wondering if QOS will be applied through the extender as well and then prioritise my gaming sessions?

Also, If i apply more bandwidth to the PC and PS4 would i need to give more bandwidth to the extender as well? or would it automatically detect that my PC needs more bandwidth and then automatically increase the bandwidth for the Ex7700 so that it can provide the require bandwidth to the PC and PS4.

i want to get another extender because I live in an old house with bricks so connection is really poor with just one extender so im deciding to get another 1 more extender. Would it make a difference and QOS be applied?

The reason I have the XR500 is because of DUMA OS and i need that to prioritise my gaming sessions because in this house we have around 12 devices connected and we get 200bmps. Even though its good, i get a lot of latency and with the installation of the XR500 it has definitely helped reduce that a lot.

Hopefully someone can give me some insight on whether QOS will work through the extenders and be applied.

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: QOS Work with Extenders

Yes that is right. An access point does not hand out IPs to devices so the device gets the IP direct from the router, hence it will then be configurable on the router. No need to apologize, totally understand!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you're seeing the devices as connected on the Device Manager then it will absolutely apply to them and no need to give bandwidth to the extender itself. You can add another extender if needed and will work the same way.
Message 2 of 7
Opularity
Guide

Thank you so much!

Would it be the same thing with using any other extenders as well? Like the Orbi? Or using Access Points around the house that aren't made by Netgear.

Would QOS be applied through those Access Points as well? And if I limited bandwidth to a device that is connected that specific access point that isn't made by netgear, would QOS be applied? And would it be applied if the Access point was a netgear product like orbi even though I have the EX7700?

Sorry for this really long question, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get connection through my old brick home with multiple heavy users of bandwidth.
Message 3 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Even with a different product from another company it should all work the exact same way and allow you to apply QoS to individual devices.
Message 4 of 7
Opularity
Guide

Even a device which is connected with an ethernet cable connected at the back of another company's access point? QOS will be applied to the device that is connected with an ethernet cable and not the actual access point if I decide to only use QOS for the device and not the access point?

Sorry for being really thorough, I just want to make sure I don't over spend and make a mistake.
Message 5 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes that is right. An access point does not hand out IPs to devices so the device gets the IP direct from the router, hence it will then be configurable on the router. No need to apologize, totally understand!
Message 6 of 7
Opularity
Guide

Thank you so much! You've been really helpful!
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7