× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: QOS and connection benchmark

PapaLung
Apprentice

QOS and connection benchmark

How do I get rid of the gigantic upload spike?
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

If thats happening across two different modems then this may not be something that can be adjusted. Possible the ping testing is loading up and finding it higher as the test begins and as the test continues it lowers and levels off. your getting A+ so that's nothing to worry about. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 12

All Replies

@PapaLung wrote:
How do I get rid of the gigantic upload spike?

You could start by explaining what you are doing, and, more important, what Netgear device(s) you own.

You can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason.

Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What model XR router do you have? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 3 of 12
PapaLung
Apprentice

I'm using an XR1000 w the current firmware version 1.0.0.0.64_1.0.49. Was using a Netgear nighthawk CM2050V and just switched it out to an Xfinity XB8-t and am getting the same results on my connection benchmark test in regards to the jump in upload latency. CAT 6 wires from modem to router and router to pc. Current router is in bridge mode as well. I've tried adjusting the congestion control some and even downloaded ping plotter but I honestly don't understand how ping plotter even works or how to take the information I get from it and apply it to the congestion control. From what I've read, adjusting the congestion control should level out the spikes in latency , but again, I'm not going to pretend I fully understand it.
Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

If thats happening across two different modems then this may not be something that can be adjusted. Possible the ping testing is loading up and finding it higher as the test begins and as the test continues it lowers and levels off. your getting A+ so that's nothing to worry about. 

Message 5 of 12
PapaLung
Apprentice

Thank you!!!!
Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I have a XR1000 arriving and will check this on mine. 😉

Message 7 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As you mentioned, adjusting Congestion Control will resolve the spike and latency there, if the Ping Under Load graph doesn't change then I would recommend saturating your connection with downloads, streams etc and with Always set on Congestion Control experiment with the percentages while following this guide for PingPlotter https://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping
Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

After I got my XR1000 set up yesterday I saw similar on mine. Seems to spike at the beginning of the test then drop off. I just presume this normal at the beginning of the test and a load up of data then levels off as the test continues. 

I left my router at v.52 that came loaded on it. 

I'll post pictures later of what mine showed. 

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Heres my XR1000 v.52 connected to a CAX80 in modem mode.

With QoS enabled:

XR10001stConnTestCAX80ModemModeQosEnabled.pngXR1000_2ndConnTestCAX80ModemModeQosEnabled.png

With QoS disabled:

XR10001stConnTestCAX80ModemModeQosDisabled.pngXR1000_2ndConnTestCAX80ModemModeQosDisabled.png

Seems like there was some delay in getting the 1st speed up to par after the router rebooted and was back to ready, as why I did a 2nd test.

WIred speed results on Windows 10x64:

XR1000XCAX80ModemModeOver900Mpbs.png

After testing, configured XR for 192.168.0.1 and .100 to .150 DCHP IP address pool. 

Disable WiFi and connected a Orbi 8 series in AP Mode. 

Message 10 of 12
PapaLung
Apprentice

"After testing, configured XR for 192.168.0.1 and .100 to .150 DCHP IP address pool.

Disable WiFi and connected a Orbi 8 series in AP Mode. "

Could you explain why you changed the ip? I'm still learning all the ip, dhcp,dns ect. talk and what these things actually do and what you can/can't and should do for a better connection.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I change to a different IP address for the LAN side is all. Been using 0.1 for years since on of my first routers I got was defaulted for that. NG and others default to .1.1 on there's however users can change to something different. 

Also the range is always maxed out however in most cases users don't have 250 devices all connected to one router and you can't reserve IP addresses that high so the range I set for my needs is .100 to .150 as I only have about 30 devices connected at one time. Leaves room for some reservations and static IP addressed devices on either side of this pool, printers and such that don't need much or any router management. 

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7