× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

QOS computer support needed console mode is getting out of control !

usermac
Luminary

QOS computer support needed console mode is getting out of control !

The High priority traffic detected light is constantly coming on and it is driving me mad. There are times when I am not playing online games and yet it is still triggered by aplications on my computer.
Just having steam open or origin triggers it which is silly because if you want to download an update for your games you have to log into the router everytime just to disable the buffer bloat. I would really like to use the XR500 bufferbloat with my PC but the way netduma has this Deep Packet Inspection set up at the moment it is useless for most pc games right now and for me the only work around is to set your compter as a console but this is now getting out of control because the QOS is getting triggered constantly when it is not necessary.

I need to be able to use the bufferbloat for the computer but side stepping and tricking dumaOS into thinking my computer it is a console is no longer working out.

Can netduma help me fix this please

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: QOS computer support needed console mode is getting out of control !

Can you change the device that the router is detecting from console to PC on the XR router? if the XR is using a difference device description on the router incorrectly, then this would effect how QoS sees the PC. 

Message 2 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Firstly you don't need to disable Anti-Bufferbloat when downloading a game or update. The speed difference shouldn't be too high and it will prevent you causing other devices to lag while downloading. If you have the PC set to a console in Device Manager then it will trigger much more often. Set as your PC, if you're still concerned by it coming on when opening Steam etc which is normal behaviour you could instead prioritize ports that you manually enter.
Message 3 of 5
usermac
Luminary

I am connected at about 70mbps so capping 30% gives me about 50mbps so it is a noticable difference.I have factory reset the thing left it so it can see my pc as a computer and not as a console I can not be having this light on all the time when it does not need to be. It never used to bring the priorty light on when steam was open. What is the point of having the option "When High Priority Traffic Detected" when there is no high Priority traffic ?? When playing games online this should be the priorty detection level. 

Message 4 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

So you'll average 2 megabytes a second less in download which isn't too bad. It prioritizes the ports required for online play which is why when opening steam it gets triggered. If you don't want that find the ports the game uses and add those manually, that should resolve it.
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7