× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: QOS settings for 1 gig down/40 meg up, Xfinity cable modem

Martdog23
Guide

QOS settings for 1 gig down/40 meg up, Xfinity cable modem

Hi, I’ve been a competitive video gamer for a long time and have just recently decided to buy my own equipment rather than use the ISPs equipment (shocker I know). I love the NETGEAR nighthawk gaming routers and have bought two of them since my switch from my isp cable/modem. I have been using the xr500 and I love it but can’t seem to get my settings down properly. I have fun and have success but it’s a very inconsistent connection experience periodically. There are sometimes 12 devices connected to my network. Most being phones, tablets, laptops, streaming devices, etc. I get 1000 mbps download and 43 mbps upload.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is the average ping you're getting to the game as shown by the Geo-Filter? Generally with your speeds you don't really need to use QoS as it is unlikely that you'll experience local congestion but what QoS settings are you using at the moment?
Message 2 of 12
Martdog23
Guide

The ping varies, I’ll have to check in game. I have QoS enabled, anti bufferbloat at 70% for down and 100% for up because that speed is lower. I have ipv6 enabled as it works better with my isp’s dns servers. I have disabled QoS before and it lags in most games. It’s just not smooth.
Message 3 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You will need to use QoS for upload as that is what games primarily use, you also have plenty as games barely use any bandwidth. Use 70% for upload to start with.
Message 4 of 12
Martdog23
Guide

Ok thank you, I will try this and then I will check my ping via the geo filter as well and post pictures.

Message 5 of 12
Martdog23
Guide

So after our discussion yesterday I figured it would be worth another shot to try out the No QOS setup. It worked well but definitely still some lag here and there. I have attached a photo of my ping to the peer at the time not the server. Apparently games use a dedicated/peer combo these days. The game is call of duty modern warfare.

Message 6 of 12
Martdog23
Guide

In addition, I'm trying the QOS on, 70% method with dumaOS games enabled and my PS4 on the traffic prioritization. So far everything is working fine and i will update my findings.

Message 7 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sometimes hosts that appear as peers can be misclassified and are actually servers so that's most likely what has happened there, we can fix that with a cloud update. Glad it's going well so far, do keep us posted.
Message 8 of 12
Martdog23
Guide

So just a little update on my experience. I have gone back to no ipv6 enabled. I lowered my overall WiFi speed to 800 mbps rather than at the recommended 945 mbps. Yes still have QoS on and at 70%sliders. I also have ports forwarded 3478-3480 for the PS4 along with an address reservation. This seems to be working well at the moment.
Message 9 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear that, thank you for the update. Do keep us posted on how you get on.
Message 10 of 12
Martdog23
Guide

Can you explain to me what “respond to ping on internet port” does? And possibly why it is beneficial to having it on and how it relates to gaming? Thanks for all the advice by the way. Always good to bounce ideas off people.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 11 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Not much I can say for what it does, if someone pings your IP address then the router will send a response. I'd normally suggest leaving it on (unless you're very security concious) as I could envisage it might affect the accuracy of the Geo-Filter ping.
Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7